Watch the first 1260 in pro skateboarding history

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/06/watch-the-first-1260-in-pro-sk.html

4 Likes

and he stuck the landing, too, unlike Mr Hawk

Well, now that video about Tony Hawk’s struggle to do a mere 900 makes him look like a bungling fool

2 Likes

The ramps are very different so it’s an unfair comparison because of the difference in speed, plus at that time people weren’t doing 900’s in the pro scene so pulling it off was a huge gamble.

9 Likes

Yeah standard half pipe vs whatever that big-ass ramp is called. If Tony had been on the big ramp the 900 would have been cake.

6 Likes

BFFT EXCUSES! all i am interested in is watching hot topic customers revolve as many x as possible ITS LITERALLY ALL I CARE ABOUT

5 Likes

10 Likes

How far have we come… on video editing. The new record video was almost serene compared to the headache-inducing splikety splik of 90’s skater aesthetics.

2 Likes

part of that is the absurd “oh no, we hate back bars” animation. The widescreen aspect ratio may also be better suited for sports.

Yeah, that kid is getting a lot of air simply cuz the ramp gives him so much speed. He’s got much more time to pull off the rotations.

Tony Hawk has a lot less time and --in my opinion-- is more impressive. A 1260 would be impossible on a standard half-pipe.

3 Likes

Would it hurt him to smile?

Yes. Also, stop touching him.

1 Like

What would really impress me is an 810, or an 1170.

3 Likes

How does he keep the board from coming away from his feet? I remember in the year or so leading to Tony Hawk landing the 900, there was a lot of talk about there being a hard limit to the number of rotations a skateboarders can do. It had something to do with centrifugal force causing the board and feet to drift apart.

2 Likes

Isn’t he simply holding it there? In the Tony Hawk vid the problem seems to more about completing the rotations and sticking the landing than anything else.

1 Like

Goddammit, are the X-Games already old enough to be shown with faux vignetting?

[does math on fingers]

That’s 360, 720, 1080…

That’s three and a half times around, folks.

1 Like
4 Likes

Yea, I did the same thing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.