Watch the funny and serious Saturday Night Live clip of Lorne Michaels offering The Beatles the princely sum of $3000 to reunite on his show (1976)

Originally published at: Watch the funny and serious Saturday Night Live clip of Lorne Michaels offering The Beatles the princely sum of $3000 to reunite on his show (1976) | Boing Boing

3 Likes

You divide it anyway you want: if you want to give Ringo less that’s up to you. I’d rather not get involved.

Just thinking about that line and how Michaels delivered it never fails to make me laugh.

6 Likes

I remember this.

But it worked out as he managed to get the Rutles to show up.

7 Likes

Well that’s not that difficult. All you need is cash.

10 Likes

ezgif.com-gif-maker (1)

3 Likes

1976 was the year Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Three got back together so there’s that.

4 Likes

It was shortly after that when Eric Idle was hosting and Lorne came back on to explain that Eric told him he could get the Beatles on the show. Foolishly, he admitted, he sent him the $3000 check. Turns out Eric sent a film of not The Beatles, but The Rutles (which aired a few years earlier on Eric’s UK show “Rutland Weekend Television”.) Thankfully this eventually lead to the collaboration which became “The Rutles: All You Need is Cash” a few years later.

4 Likes

I do not get the “Video of a Video” that is so common on youtube.

You have the video playing on your computer. If you don’t know how to acquire that and upload that, don’t create/upload the video-of-the-video. It is a pestilence.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.