Watch these 1970s stars mangle Beatles songs on this TV special

Originally published at: Watch these 1970s stars mangle Beatles songs on this TV special | Boing Boing

1 Like

Is that Paul Williams in the first photo?

10 Likes

I swear I remember this special and yes, it’s Paul Williams.

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure you’re right. I’m also pretty sure that’s not Ray Charles in the still for the YouTube video, but Jamie Foxx

1 Like

I knew everyone without Googling except the ballet dancer.

All great entertainers but I question the Beatles theme.

Bernadette Peters can belt them out.

4 Likes

Got a real Across the Universe Eddie Izzard vibe from Paul Williams’ performance of For the Benefit of Mr Kite.

4 Likes

I remember this era. I was there. I was young and the world seemed like it was waking up from a primitive mental illness - reason seemed in ascendency. I couldn’t imagine the future would look like it does today.

6 Likes

Ray Charles was certainly the highlight, but I also enjoyed Bernadette Peters.
For reasons.

And I couldn’t find Ray Charles doing Yesterday. Maybe it was in the Christmas Special 3 weeks later.

3 Likes

this is prime “let’s get high and watch this terrible show” fodder.

4 Likes

I could only watch a little of this before all my cringing threw my back out. I’m reminded of how desperately the old musical order tried to either co-opt or “legitimize” the Beatles’ music. An ersatz MOR orchestra (Middle-Of-the-Road for you young-un’s) called The Hollyridge Strings issued several instrumental albums with Beatles songs safely rearranged as elevator music. They were reasonably successful, too. In fact, I heard their works playing in elevators within weeks of release.

7 Likes

They SAID not to take the brown acid!!!

3 Likes

I will not click on the link because I suffered through this once, with my parents, although it wasn’t completely horrible, because we sang along. And by we, I mean me.

In a small, weird piece of synchronicity, last night I was at a “Remembering John Lennon” benefit gig and the audience sang along to Beatles songs.

5 Likes

What This isn’t Sgt Pepper?

[Man, I just bought this soundtrack on vinyl from Ebay… lol]

5 Likes

I must admit I completely, unironically, enjoyed her rendition of “Something” in this.

3 Likes

Shame they kept cutting into Ray to go back to the mostly terrible sing a long. Although yes, I’ve long enjoyed Bernadette Peters and her singing. But Ray, man… just perfection always.

2 Likes

Then Reagan was elected, and it all went out the window.

3 Likes

As a child of the 60s/70s, the very worst/best thing about the era was “variety shows” all the damn time.

7 Likes

With five channels, we were held captive!

5 Likes

At least the president wasn’t singing!

2 Likes

She’s great but the “circus” production undermines it, due to following Mr. Kite where the circus theme made total sense. I liked Paul Williams’ take on that song too but the goofy clown visual is just too much.

Ray Charles’s Yesterday is great but the way it starts with a closeup on Diahann Carroll (and someone else) misty-eyeing him is hilarious.

Ugh the Eleanor Rigby is awful.

wow that’s Mel Tillis. He does an ok Here Comes the Sun

Pretty much ALL the duets suck bad

1 Like