Watch: The Magic of Oz, the "worst cartoon ever"?

The animation is about on par with the Peter Jackson Hobbit films, too.

3 Likes

early '60s? maybe late '30s

3 Likes

There’s a weird vibe between this and a North Korean cutesy-animal warmongering film you can find on YouTube.

1 Like

why is it so quiet? I can barely hear the dialog.

I’m surprised there’s no Rising Sun Flag on that Inuit character.

and of course there’s Wheels of Oz: the “best viral video of this week”…

2 Likes

Well, I’ve seen Manos many times, so I guess I better round out my education and watch this too.

3 Likes

Manos is a masterpiece. of… something. But masterpiece nonetheless!

6 Likes

I can’t disagree with you…as much as some rational part of me would like to.

I was scrolling down to post: this is the worst only because the animated adaptation of The Room has not yet been made.

1 Like

I really liked that version of The Hobbit! Hour and a half, gets to the point and gets the job done. I caught 30 minutes of one of the Peter Jackson movies and I was bored by minute 15.

4 Likes

Exactly, it surprised me because I thought the Rankin-Bass “Hobbit” was generally considered a fairly faithful adaptation of the book (for being a brisk TV cartoon). I certainly thought it kept the flavor and tone of the book a whole lot better than the three movies were able to, and I’ve always liked it quite a lot.

4 Likes

Prison, countless dongs flapping about, and so much violence. Great show.

Oh, wait. Wrong Oz.

7 Likes

I have to disagree with you on one point.
I think the animation for Momotaro’s is first rate.

That’s one of the trippiest and most amazing (and bad) pieces of animation I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

That was my first thought. I think it was Zippy that once opined: “His mouth. It looks like dying clams.”

3 Likes
2 Likes

That has at least some redeeming qualities… the artwork is pretty good, and there’s definitely a retro-futuristic style to them, even if the actual animation is as cheesy as Clutch Cargo’s.

That kid’s rather dense for being a genius.

The design work was done by Alex Toth, who was a bit of a legend.

The execution is so low rent though! They even avoid using the superimposed-lips technique when they can, covering up character’s mouths with hands or microphones much of the time.

As a little tyke I ate this up though. SPACE!

1 Like