Watch: The Magic of Oz, the "worst cartoon ever"?

and of course there’s Wheels of Oz: the “best viral video of this week”…

2 Likes

Well, I’ve seen Manos many times, so I guess I better round out my education and watch this too.

3 Likes

Manos is a masterpiece. of… something. But masterpiece nonetheless!

6 Likes

I can’t disagree with you…as much as some rational part of me would like to.

I was scrolling down to post: this is the worst only because the animated adaptation of The Room has not yet been made.

1 Like

I really liked that version of The Hobbit! Hour and a half, gets to the point and gets the job done. I caught 30 minutes of one of the Peter Jackson movies and I was bored by minute 15.

4 Likes

Exactly, it surprised me because I thought the Rankin-Bass “Hobbit” was generally considered a fairly faithful adaptation of the book (for being a brisk TV cartoon). I certainly thought it kept the flavor and tone of the book a whole lot better than the three movies were able to, and I’ve always liked it quite a lot.

4 Likes

Prison, countless dongs flapping about, and so much violence. Great show.

Oh, wait. Wrong Oz.

7 Likes

I have to disagree with you on one point.
I think the animation for Momotaro’s is first rate.

That’s one of the trippiest and most amazing (and bad) pieces of animation I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

That was my first thought. I think it was Zippy that once opined: “His mouth. It looks like dying clams.”

3 Likes
2 Likes

That has at least some redeeming qualities… the artwork is pretty good, and there’s definitely a retro-futuristic style to them, even if the actual animation is as cheesy as Clutch Cargo’s.

That kid’s rather dense for being a genius.

The design work was done by Alex Toth, who was a bit of a legend.

The execution is so low rent though! They even avoid using the superimposed-lips technique when they can, covering up character’s mouths with hands or microphones much of the time.

As a little tyke I ate this up though. SPACE!

1 Like

I vividly remember my dad complaining about the crappiness of the cartoons I loved as a kid: Battle of the Planets, Scooby Doo, Wacky Racers… looking back, the animation was indeed terrible, and they were repetitious as heck, but I didn’t mind back then!

2 Likes

It is amazing how even Hanna-Barbera looks classy next to cheapshlock like the Marvel Super Heroes, Rocket Robin Hood, and the first Spider-Man cartoon.

Starting in the 90s, I guess, TV cartoons really turned around. Animation quality improved markedly, but the concepts and scripts just became insanely great. Private theory: This happened after the last of the old crowd, who made cartoon shorts for theatrical release and who grew up with vaudeville and radio serials, died off.

2 Likes

A lot of that animation work also stopped being done in-house, which was very expensive. Studios started relying more heavily in out-sourcing animating work to studios abroad. It was cheaper for sure, but it probably gave the production company the ability to polish up the look of cartoons. Also the lucrative toy market drove competition as well. 80’s-90’s cartoons were still not great but they’re much much better than what came before, and there’s some definite gems in there.

2 Likes

Which would be a great band name.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.