Watch: The Magic of Oz, the "worst cartoon ever"?

Ow! My psyche! I’d like my five minutes and forty seconds back, please.

1 Like

This cartoon was bad. It was very, very bad. But, it was not 1977 Rankin-Bass incomplete “The Hobbit” bad!

9 Likes

It its defence, “The Trump Administration” is being procedurally generated in real time from a library of bad ideas. It is quite a technical accomplishment.

4 Likes

It looks like they did a good job predicting how Thorin Oakenshield would look in the Peter Jackson films.

5 Likes

I enjoyed this movie. It was really surreal and weird. It’s very sloppily produced but I think that adds to the charm. Are there any other movies like this style? Maybe better produced?

2 Likes

Drugs. Drugs is the answer.

3 Likes

It should be shown as an intro to The Room:

4 Likes

Whenever the BBC had a strike in the 70s and early 80s we were subjected to Eastern Bloc animation not dissimilar to "Worker and Parasite"

13 Likes

3 Likes

Are we sticking with hand-drawn, or do these Sir Billi vids belong here too?

5 Likes

Is there a different Rankin-Bass “Hobbit” than the one I know of? I feel like there’s a joke here that’s flying way over my head.

3 Likes

3 Likes

There is much of intrigue in this thread.

I’d like to nominate the work of Phoenix Games. “Games don’t count!”, you may retort. But then, does their work count as “games” ?

2 Likes

just one thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foodfight!

2 Likes

When I was a kid, my grade school showed “The Incredible Mr. Limpet” on the weekend and my father took me to see it. After the film, I was all jazzed up on animation and sugar. I asked my father, “did you like it?” He said, “That movie glorifies war.” Thanks, hippie buzzkill dad!

Good thing dad never saw “Momotaro.” It’s not only awkwardly animated, it makes Disney’s “Victory Through Airpower” look like “My Neighbor Totoro.”

4 Likes

The animation is about on par with the Peter Jackson Hobbit films, too.

3 Likes

early '60s? maybe late '30s

3 Likes

There’s a weird vibe between this and a North Korean cutesy-animal warmongering film you can find on YouTube.

1 Like

why is it so quiet? I can barely hear the dialog.

I’m surprised there’s no Rising Sun Flag on that Inuit character.