What a nice memory! My wife and I loved this commercial :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Looks pretty serious. 0_o

16 Likes

He was a 1940s man in a 1960s world.

8 Likes

Like this?

5 Likes

Probably more accurately a 1920s man, if he was hip enough. Both he and Bill Frawley who portrayed him were former vaudeville actors. Bill Frawley was born in the 1880s, making him decades older than anyone else on that show.

6 Likes

You know you’ve made it as an old man when your necktie can double as your belt.

5 Likes

It was suggested his prime years were even earlier than that…

mertz

8 Likes

Vivian Vance’s birth year. Well before Desi Arnaz or Lucille Ball were born.

Bill Frawley was 22.

3 Likes

I guess it’s an I Love Lucy kind of week.

We watched “Being the Ricardos” the other night. It was an interesting look at their lives, and how their small corner of the world worked in the mid-1950s.

The casting was great! Nicole Kidman nailed Lucy, as did J.K.Simmons who played William Frawley/Fred Murtz. Javier Bardem really captured the incredible charm of Desi, but couldn’t quite match his youthful visage.

As it was a docudrama, they smooshed time to cram several momentous events from the decade into the on-screen space of a week or two. Other than that it was an enjoyable show.

1 Like

4 Likes

I’m going to burn your club down, Ricky, with the lemons! Right after Ethyl fetches me more pain pills.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.