Watch the speedy and satisfying arrest of a "sovereign citizen"

For those who want to take a real deep dive into SovCit nonsense, this 175 page Canadian divorce court opinion is one of the definitive treatises on the subject.

7 Likes

well, not those. it’s illegal to bring a horse or operate an unmotorized vehicle on the highway. ( walking is also frowned upon, unless it’s an emergency )

eta: sorry for the double article kibitz

that right there is white supremacy. if you support white supremacy, you’re one of the “good ones”, the exception that proves the rule. if you don’t, you’re even worse than white people on the other side of the spectrum

i think the person they’re quoting doesn’t really understand how racism works

11 Likes

Everyone involved in this was annoying, but it looked like she was on her way to work as a personal medical caregiver of some sort. I feel for whoever is now sitting and waiting for her to show up since she was not allowed to phone them to say she wasn’t coming. What if there was some regular care they required that just never arrived?

6 Likes

Most of the rights afforded by the US Constitution, with the exception of voting, serving in certain elected positions, and jury duty, are for “people” not citizens. So even if they claim they are not US citizens, they have those rights.

One of the things they don’t have is the right to operate a motor vehicle without a license, though. And if they aren’t a citizen and don’t have a valid passport/visa, they can be deported.

11 Likes

In this case, it seems like she’s been having run ins for a while - numerous traffic violations and not paying fines, driving on a suspended license - and she’s still not learned, possibly because there haven’t been consequences before. I wonder how much of her sovcit position is because she has a lot invested in believing in it - her job requires her to drive and she lost her legal ability to do so (perhaps because she initially couldn’t afford to pay some traffic fine). I suspect the lack of viable public transportation in this country does a lot of damage to people in ways we don’t even think about.

I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if some do - cops seem to have pretty rough (at best) understanding of US law, so it’s not beyond the realm of possibility they could get hoodwinked. It’s just that their misunderstanding usually works the opposite way - cops think they have all sorts of rights and powers they don’t actually possess (effectively making them their own brand of sovcits, in a way).

I don’t know how common it is, but people asserting imaginary sovereign citizen rights also comes up in relation to (non-payment of) taxes* and (rarely) in property disputes, (and probably divorce and family court stuff,) but since people are most likely to break laws and have interactions with law enforcement in the context of traffic stops, and those get recorded, that’s where the videos are. Outside that context, you’d probably be unlikely to even know they had these delusions.

*E.g. Wesley Snipes and his well publicized tax issues - he used sovcit language in his justification for not paying income taxes. Of course, we only know about it because he’s famous.

In the US, if the police arrest you for a traffic violation (as here), they can search the vehicle. Otherwise they need probable cause or to use their own magic words “I smell cannabis” to have legal justification for a search.

The police can legally search the vehicle if you get arrested for a traffic offense (search incident to arrest) and/or your car gets impounded (inventory search), and use whatever they find against you. Doesn’t matter if it’s related to the arrest or not - same as if you were arrested for say, assault, and had drugs in your pockets.

7 Likes

My understanding is that after Arizona v Gant (2009), once the driver has been secured they can only search the car if they reasonably believe they will find evidence related to the offense of the arrest. Is there later case law expanding that? Or maybe the inventory search is a separate exception?

2 Likes

Seriously, what would he do if someone whipped out a missile and said ‘say hello to my little friend’?

2 Likes

Moorish sovereign citizens believe that African-Americans are descended from Moors. Some believe that they are also Native Americans.

They like to cosplay as Moroccans.

5 Likes

Any excuse to post this:

JAY-Z’S 99 PROBLEMS, VERSE 2: A CLOSE READING WITH
FOURTH AMENDMENT GUIDANCE FOR COPS AND PERPS
CALEB MASON*
ABSTRACT
This is a line-by-line analysis of the second verse of 99 Problems by Jay-Z,
from the perspective of a criminal procedure professor. It’s intended as a
resource for law students and teachers, and for anyone who’s interested in what
pop culture gets right about criminal justice, and what it gets wrong.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/academics/lj56-2_mason_article.pdf

8 Likes

I have to agree to this sentiment. I don’t enjoy watching fascism at work and that’s a lot of resources poured into the eventual outcome which is just another ticket+fine that she’s not going to pay anyway.

8 Likes

Would looking for car registration or an insurance card count?

1 Like

I doubt the police officer was expecting to find either of those things under the spare tire in the trunk.

6 Likes

Maybe he means anything from tomahawks to missiles.
That way you cover every weapon from the stone age to the space age.

2 Likes

I would say that they automatically have a fool for a client, going pro se because no lawyer would argue a SC case.

But I’d be wrong. :astonished:

7 Likes

ACAB, but I appreciate that they have an essential job to do, and it’s nice to see them occasionally do it properly, without brutalizing citizens, sovereign or otherwise. It’s also nice to see sovcits’ dismay when their reality checks bounce. This video is a twofer.

3 Likes

Sov judges don’t take prisoners

3 Likes

It never cease to amuse me that they think there’s some special, magic words that will stop the law affecting them, rather than just being in charge of lots of money.

13 Likes

We had some similar wackadoodles try to kidnap a coroner recently Because Reasons:

8 Likes

Is that flavor of ‘sovereign citizen’ aware of just how long Uncle Sam has taken Moors who don’t take US state authority seriously seriously?

It would be only a slight exaggeration to say that that’s why we restarted the navy(we had other purposes for it; but the Naval Act of 1794 didn’t just idly include a clause that halted construction should peace with Algeria break out).

4 Likes

They have some odd ideas about precisely that period of US history.

In addition to the Moorish Science Temple doctrine that Black Americans are of Moorish descent, Moorish sovereign citizens claim immunity from U.S. federal, state, and local laws,[5] because of a mistaken belief that the Moroccan–American Treaty of Friendship (1786) grants them sovereignty.[2][6] In reality, the 1786 treaty was primarily a trade agreement.

6 Likes