Watch the trailer for documentary about college admissions scandal

Originally published at: Watch the trailer for documentary about college admissions scandal | Boing Boing

2 Likes

The “Gangster Capitalism” podcast (season 1) is another good breakdown on the college admissions scandal.

Rick Singer is a scumbag, but so were his clients. It’s infuriating that Lori Loughlin got off so easily after actually fighting it in court instead of pleading out.

5 Likes

The shocking 2019 college admissions scandal just wasn’t that shocking. Didn’t everyone assume that was how the US college system has always worked?
I feel sorry that woman who went to jail for doing something every single one of her neighbours did for their children.
I mean, it’s a lousy system but I don’t see why one or two families have to be singled out.

6 Likes

What I never got was, wouldn’t the dumb rich kid get shown up pretty fast by the super bright legit kid? Or do they all go to MIT or something…

1 Like

The faculty is there to teach all students to the best of their ability, not to make sure the bottom 20% of the class gets thrown out on their asses.

Mediocre is good enough to get by once you’ve made it in, especially if you’re wealthy enough to afford personal tutors.

9 Likes

And “a degree, any degree, who cares about the GPA” is not a big problem for those with connections.

7 Likes

As the last two Republican Presidents so clearly demonstrated.

6 Likes

Are test files still a thing, or does that not exist in the digital age? Because where I went to school, the rich kid frats had amazing test files, and even the best profs reused at least 30% of their test questions. Some didn’t change the questions at all, they just shuffled the order.

5 Likes

Even more so if, as at many private universities, they don’t grade on a curve. At some of those schools, getting in is the hardest part and it’s a long mediocre coast to a B.A. with what they used to call a “gentleman’s C” average.

4 Likes

It’s open to everyone now. You can upload documents for access, or just pay.

4 Likes

Interesting. Thanks!

2 Likes

I can’t tell if this sentence is acknowledging or ignoring the degree to which “the wealthy” and “the privileged” are two different groups. The latter is much larger and less powerful than the former.

1 Like

Why do students wish to make more work for profs?

3 Likes

That doesn’t enter into their calculus. There are an unfortunate number of students who approach higher education transactionally, and want to put forth the minimum amount of effort to get a maximum grade rather than receive an education. Unfortunately, there are some universities and colleges that simply embrace that transaction rather than setting up an environment for real learning.

2 Likes

I know… but…

fullmetal alchemist GIF by Funimation

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.