Watch the trailer for the first fully AI-generated RomCom, coming soon from TV manufacturer TCL

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/16/watch-the-trailer-for-the-first-fully-ai-generated-romcom-coming-soon-from-tv-manufacturer-tcl.html

2 Likes

Probably just as original and imaginative as any of those Hallmark Christmas rom-coms.

7 Likes

I still want to see AI in movies and shows but on the executive side not the creative. There is a lot of data over the years of what projects worked and what didn’t, so use that to review creative ideas and remove executives egos.

5 Likes

This looks like soulless garbage.

Is it going to be 5 second clips the whole way through? Never a long take or a whole scene in a single shot, just an ADHD nightmare of constantly shifting details and new angles?

6 Likes

Thanks, I hate it.

10 Likes

Hmm, looks like utter shit.
If that’s the best AI can do with facial expressions, then actors have a few hundred years left in them yet.

8 Likes

Shockingly, the trailer actually looks to be MORE poorly written and acted. AI is POWER.

2 Likes

No.

As I say in my professional context when someone suggests some LLM generated text “if you can’t be bothered writing it, I’m not reading it”.

8 Likes

We discussed this in the AI thread already but it seems like an odd choice to include so many close-up shots of fucked-up hands in the trailer. So my guess is that either 1) the editors didn’t notice when they cut the trailer together or 2) they left those shots in on purpose so everyone would believe it was really a fully AI-generated project.

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 5.37.53 PM
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 5.38.17 PM

5 Likes

I heartily recommend this flick for anyone in need of a non-pharmaceutical appetite suppression method.

2 Likes

I watched the first half of the trailer out of curiosity. And continued through the second half to confirm it was as gut-achingly awful as it seemed. Any human writers involved would be well advised to stick to the “no, it’s 100% AI” denial.

4 Likes

4 Likes

I stopped watching the trailer after 10 seconds. The faces are totally unconvincing.

Still, it might create a market opportunity for an AI based app to watch these films for you.

8 Likes

Paris via the Uncanny Valley

4 Likes

You may be onto something here. A recursive loop of AI writing movies and shows for an exclusively AI audience could tie up all the AI long enough for the rest of us to escape AI completely.

8 Likes

Isn’t that what’s already happening to the Web?

4 Likes

This is the moment I find out I’m a poorly coded AI, isn’t it? It answers a lot of questions.

6 Likes

So a series of uncanny cinemagraphs and stock footage? (or perhaps both at the same time)

Part of me is curious how (or if) coherency is maintained in the generating of so much garbage content. (angles, lighting, time of day, or direction of train travel as in the trailer)

3 Likes

It’s got to be better than Mama June bachelorette moonshining pawn stars whatever.

We’re past the reality-tv phase and moving onto irreality-tv. It seems like the natural progression.

Oh gods this is so, so bad - and I have a really high tolerance for incredibly cheesy romcoms. I could barely make it through the trailer. Its like a parody, except it’s weirdly off enough to not work as that, either. How - how?! - did they think this was going to work out? Are they counting on people hate-watching this? Because I can’t imagine it would manage to inspire even that.

This is really making me appreciate the human skills and creativity that goes into even the absolutely worst, most cliched Hallmark Christmas movie.

I presume - AI video is pretty terrible at long shots and continuity. This is so bad on so many levels.

I’m going to guess that it isn’t. I presumed there are only two characters in the trailer/movie, but it’s hard to tell based on the images, given that the characters look at least subtly different from shot to shot.

3 Likes