Watch the world's oldest board game, The Royal Game of Ur, being played

It’s exactly like basketball in that if you’ve got a competent opponent, the only thing that matters in a game is the last minute or two.

2 Likes

Good thing that Ur didn’t invent Magic: The Gathering, or civilization would never have got off the ground.

2 Likes

4 Likes

I kinda thought the same.

But ooooh man that Royal Game of Ur gameboard is so striking and beautiful to look at (especially compared to the one covered in January)… such difference. Each board speaks volumes about the culture it came from.

1 Like

“Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband’s lap.”

I’m here all millennium, folks!

1 Like

I’ll believe it when it’s peer-reviewed.

Just from the picture, I immediately thought of hopscotch. Perhaps it is a (seriously degraded) version of this game. Hopscotch never made any sense anyway.

If you’re playing a physical game, just buy 4 D4 tetrahedrons.

If you’re playing online, it’s not hard to generate a 4 bit random number.

My favourite character is title on the bottom. (“Make that 8.”)

I thought so too - but on searching it turns out I thought so because I came across the British Museum’s listing for the event while trying to find details of a Day of the Dead event BB was telling us to go to (some 8 years after it was held…).

Of course they had board games back then. Where else were you going to ensure a steady supply of virgins?

1 Like

Oh hey, I just saw this in the British Museum at the weekend!

4 Likes

D4’s!?! That treacherous little caltrop… .

4 Likes

People think Legos hurt to to step on…

2 Likes

He and Tom Scott make near-PERFECT foils for each other.

Which, yeah, like catnip to me.

1 Like

please allow me to say here? this ! THIS video! this 20-ish minutes I will never reclaiming my life?

Was the PERFECT example of wonderful things! thank you so much Boing Boing!

I have a new curator to follow, a new game to learn, and a smile on my face and in my heart!

bravo - thank you Gareth!

2 Likes

It’s just ridiculous how much fun this game is – it’s ruined my productivity today: https://www.yourturnmyturn.com/java/ur/index.php

1 Like

Since the dice are marked on two of the four corners, you can just substitute four coins instead for the same odds (and still be able to roll a zero). That’s what I plan to do when I make my own board this weekend.

It looks to be in fairly good condition. Would be worth a lot more if it was in the original box though.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.