Watch these busy beetles devour delicious flesh

[Read the post]

I’ve done this with a buffalo skull placed on an ant mound and an open-ended barrel placed over it. It took just over 2 days to clean it completely.

1 Like

Ants is clever! I generally use Dermestidae and Silphidae, which are beetles that are abundant hereabouts… the dermestids will eat pretty much anything short of metal or glass; whereas the Silphids are only really interested in wet, rotting meat.

I did use some very small ants to clean out couple of thick-necked gangster beetles (prionus laticollis) because dermestids would have destroyed the exoskeleton, and the ants were more selective.

2 Likes

I couldn’t tell you the species I used, but every last bit of flesh was removed from every part. It didn’t even smell.

1 Like

Unicorn please.

We did an episode of The Mentalist with this as the method of body-disposal used by the perp. Wish I could remember what kind of beetles we actually used in the show.

2 Likes

Yup. Depending on where you live, it’s really easy to cultivate Dermestidae. I started my colony by just putting some dry deer forelegs in a fishtank outside (they were from a friend who hunts and tries to use all parts, but just couldn’t figure out a use for dry meatless forelegs, but saved them anyways).

After a couple of months and one incident which I suspect involved over ambitious crows, bingo! Dermestid colony. All you have to do to keep it going is to continue to feed them.

1 Like

So is asking to be chopped up into little pieces and buried in the vegetable patch an acceptable burial request?

1 Like

They used to use this method at the Natural History Museum in London, until the local residents complained about the smell enough times.
Imagine the smell of a decomposing whale in central London.

[quote=“phuzz, post:11, topic:67470”]Imagine the smell of a decomposing whale in central London.
[/quote]

Have you read Fortey’s Dry Storehouse #1?

Chasing Unicorn?
chasing unicorn

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.