Decorative unicorn skull

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/16/decorative-unicorn-skull.html

4 Likes

Just saved myself ninety <pun>bucks</pun>

4 Likes

So you’re admitting to hunting and killing unicorns, then disguising them as deer?

8 Likes

Affirmative.

5 Likes

You say decorative, but could they be used in ancient occult rituals? Asking for a friend.

8 Likes

My dad usually just cuts the skull to mount the antlers.

I have a cow skull with horns donated by a farmer who had a dead cow on his property for me to use teaching kids art. I soaked it in a solution of bleach for a couple days (had to move it around because it didn’t all fit in the bucket). And then I sun bleached it for a couple days. Turned out nice.

3 Likes

I prefer texas or scandinavian mounts as they show off the intricate details of the animals pre-orbital glands, nasal cavities and teeth (to indicate age). The skull on the left was bleached using hydrogen peroxide paste, but the skull on the right was cleaned using a pressure washer and I think it turned out just as snow-white - pretty close anyhow.

The problem with sun-bleaching is that it grays out the bone. To me it indicates a lack of respect for the animal, but I understand that’s not always the case. Just personal preference I suppose.

I did it to both whiten and kill any thing lingering with the UV. It sat in a field or who knows long, so. It isn’t exactly the same circumstance. I was tortured drawing one in school, and by god I was going to carry on that tradition.

1 Like

8 inches heads? Are these unicorns or cats?

Ok. Requires a Unicorn Chaser.

Here’s one:

2 Likes

Knitted%20Gnome%203

5 Likes

I can’t find it online anywhere, but there was a piece of artwork that depicted a dragon, sitting beneath a tree, patting its fat belly with one “hand” and picking its teeth with a unicorn horn in the other. Under the art, in a sort of 1970’s blacklight poster style font was “I LOVE unicorns”. You used to be able to get it on a t-shirt at late 70’s and early 80’s science fiction conventions in the Washington-Baltimore area.

3 Likes

That film is not merely a unicorn chaser but is a Truly Wonderful Thing, to boot!
Well found, and thanks

1 Like

Do kinda want!

Free range? Elvish free-trade certified?

2 Likes

5 Likes

Man, if I ever wanted to really traumatize GirlChild (who is at the age of unicorn obsession), I’d order one of these when she and Mom were out of town.

I do most of the cooking, and could whip up a nice soup/stew/chili, with the unicorn skull sitting on a shelf elsewhere to be discovered later. “What? I went hunting while you guys were out of town. What did you think was in the chili?”…

(c’mon, she’s got to have something to tell the therapist later in life!)

3 Likes

c003e700b14331118fd8ef6f647e5448f9f78ef8_1_690x430

5 Likes

4 Likes

34ed741d065f5e52b856366e253deb7e0ac2c40e_1_521x500

2 Likes