Watch these cute Barn Owls learn how to fly for the first time

[Read the post]

2 Likes

That video made my morning. Seeing her land on the picture frame gave me a chuckle.

1 Like

Shudder! Wild animals in people’s homes? Not a good idea. Obviously, this is in Britain; it wouldn’t be allowed in some other countries (Canada, for example).

Wild animals need to be rehabilitated by organizations that specialize in this work. Search the 'Net for your local wildlife rehab center.

1 Like

Definitely a good point. These guys should not be pets.

OTOH these aren’t pet owners—they are professional wranglers who raise and train birds for TV. I’d trust them more than I would a typical family to care for wild owls.

3 Likes

Why should we give a hoot? :slight_smile:

I’m not sure who in our area would be qualified to raise an orphaned barn owl. If I found one, my only option seems to be the animal shelter, and I don’t know if they would be able to take one from ball o’ fluff to ready to care for itself.

I find owls to be one of the very few types of animals that are far cuter as adults than as juveniles.

I love critters.

Please let them fly freely.

I had a neighbour who raised birds of prey - he had a barn owl, an eagle owl, a pair of kestrels.

I was a kid, at the time but I remember taking the barn owl down to the fields when it was a juvenile bird and flying it. Lots of fun.

Sad ending to the story, someone broke into his garden and killed all of the birds except the eagle owl.

That’s a stinker and I hope they caught the rat bastard who did it. One can hope that the eagle owl, even if only a juvenile, gave them much more of a handful than they were expecting.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.