A family of burrowing superb owls

Originally published at: A family of burrowing superb owls | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Another day I’m doomed to spend looking at owls on the internet. Oh well, there are worse ways to spend the day.
eagle owl

10 Likes

I fucking love burrow owls. That Jonny Wurster kid, the kid that delivers papers in the neighborhood, he use to have one.

6 Likes

lateowl

13 Likes

The little guy that squawked at the end and then ran into the burrow? Priceless.

10 Likes

I love this description of how they hunt, the second paragraph, specifically:

Always makes me think of the robotic owl from “Clash of the Titans.”
She has tons of posts about owls.

6 Likes

3 Likes

Who?

Owls are so interesting. Really liked those two informational videos, too.
We have some barn owls that moved into the neighborhood. I’ve heard them roosting in the neighbor’s trees in the late evening.
I was tempted to get a flashlight and investigate one time, but my wife was like “I don’t think it’s a good idea to skulk around in front of their house with a flashlight”. She’s smart, that one.

6 Likes

Came for this, left satisfied!

2 Likes

Some of the neighbors say he smokes crack, but I don’t believe it.

2 Likes

Johnny Wurster, it’s right there in the post - didn’t you read it? :wink:

1 Like

Who?

3 Likes

Well some of the neighbors says he smokes crack, but I don’t believe them.

ETA - doh - beaten to the punch…

3 Likes

Its a long story, but basically for his 10th birthday, his dad got him a burrow owl, which he subsequently lost.

5 Likes

Oh, man! I knew I recognized that name, but couldn’t recall where. Thanks for the link. What a blast from the past. I think last time I heard that song I was 18 yo slam dancing in a potato field in Aroostook County. Good times, good times.

3 Likes

Also, I would not be surprised to see “Guy yelling at Stuart” on the GQP ticket (or at least the national conference stage) in 2022.

4 Likes

burrowing owls - natures bobble-heads

2 Likes

What do owls look like when they are surprised??

My highly scientific guess is that owl eyelids are capable of alarming flexibility, like snake jaws; so (if you somehow manage to evade detection and actually surprise an owl) they will be able to stare at you with eyes wider than their own heads.

1 Like