These charming night owls have a porch party when they think no one is watching

Originally published at: These charming night owls have a porch party when they think no one is watching | Boing Boing

12 Likes

Cute!
Does anyone know what species they are? I looked over common owls in AZ and my best (but still poor) guess is the elf owl?

15 Likes

lateowl

37 Likes

Reminds me of the owls on Futurama.

13 Likes

Superb!

21 Likes

These owls resemble viral sensation Travis:

15 Likes

I’m pretty sure they are these:

13 Likes

So they are being cam recorded without consent, this must stop.

12 Likes

It’s interesting that the owls seem hyper-aware of the camera, given how much they’re looking directly at it. I wonder what it is about it that catches their eye?

21 Likes

Their reflection in the lens?

19 Likes
9 Likes

What a hoot!

13 Likes

i was wondering if it had a blinking light, or was making a sound as it focused that they could hear.

16 Likes

Thanks! That was my second guess, but the bit about hunting during the daytime threw me off.

9 Likes

Hmm, I wouldn’t think the glass bit would be big enough - or properly shaped/placed to get a reflection - especially compared to really any other reflective surface like glass or standing water.

I assume it’s fairly silent - presumably there’s no moving parts, and not enough current to make any sort of hum. But maybe a light - I wondered if the camera had an infrared light that they could see. Perhaps that, or just the way light reflected off the camera lens, was reminiscent of a predator or prey eye. I’ve read that a good way to find hidden surveillance cameras is to hold a flashlight up close and parallel to your eyes as you use it to illuminate the room, and you’ll see the glint of the camera lenses - but that this also works for detecting spiders based on light reflecting off their eyes.

16 Likes

You might be onto something with the infrared. We have a couple game cams we set up periodically in our woods and yard, and I’m constantly pleasantly surprised how many of the shots are like little portraits with the animals (mainly turkeys, fox, deer, etc., no owls yet!) looking right at the camera.

15 Likes

Adorbz…

7 Likes

Whoa! That dude totally took my moth!
Hey bub, this is on video! You owe me!

13 Likes

Have you seen Chunk and his lady friend?

They have an entire yard to eat in, yet they choose to sit directly in front of the cam.

20 Likes

I believe you are correct. Juveniles, by the markings. I want to play with them.

3 Likes