Watch these inappropriate TV commercials of yore

I think most of the racism and sexism that people of color and women encounter even today is “well meaning”, in that American culture is pretty steeped in it, so much that it’s often unconcious. But that doesn’t make it’s effects any less potent.

1 Like

I’m not sure whether to be happy or horrified.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a clean 50/50, I’d say.

1 Like

Market research has shown that Hispanics generally like Speedy Gonzales. Slowpoke Rodriguez, on the other hand, maybe not so much.

3 Likes

Ah, back when it was a man’s world.

Holy s%@, this is what my mom had to put up with…

3 Likes

Baby Boomers had the best toys!

Show of hands (upvotes), who would have wanted a realistic looking toy M-14 and 1911 Colt that came in the same box!

2 Likes

I would have wanted the 1911 automatic.

1 Like

You want cringey? Read the write up that accompanies the video on Neatorama. That’s cringey.

2 Likes

My kids have a very realistic full size all metal toy Uzi. It has that slightly battered worn look that real guns have, I don’t think you could tell it wasn’t real at ten paces. It’s less than 15 years old. Much more realistic than the toys I had growing up in the sixties.

(We are in Norway, not the US.)

1 Like

I have two Crossman Airsoft 1911s plan to paint up.

I am also taking donations to buy a resin cast of a Lewis Machine gun to make into a Stormtrooper Light Repeating Blaster.

The 60s through 80s had 1:1 scale models of many guns. I have a mini uzi water gun I got at flea market that is neat. Then came the gun laws to have orange tips, and a push for fictional shaped guns and guns in bright colors.

Then in the 2000s airsoft caught on and they even make some that are so realistic you can’t import them in the US as they would constitute a 90% receiver and could conceivably be used in a real firearm. So now you can get very realistic stuff, some even licensed, from Amazon.

I also have a Japanese all metal copy of a Sterling that was converted to look like a Stormtrooper blaster. It could fire specially made blanks as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.