Watch these incredible and utterly dangerous moves banned from figure skating competitions

Coincidentally, I heard this week that the routine began that way in order to comply with a different rule. Routines were (are?) limited to a certain length (I forget what; call it x seconds) and the shortest usable extract of the music (Ravel’s Bolero, of course) was x+y seconds. So the routine began with y seconds kneeling, with their skates in the air.

Allegedly.

1 Like

It seems strange to use the name of the sport as an argument, since they got rid of the figures almost 30 years ago.

I’ve said it before: Figure skating is like stock car racing. There are no figures in figure skating and there is nothing stock in a stock car.

5 Likes

It was banned in 1976. Surya was 3 years old. Was she subjected to racism? Yes. Was the back flip part of it? No.

2 Likes

When I see figure skaters spinning around their partners I’m always reminded of this:

7 Likes

Ah it always leaves me cold…

bad-a-tshhhhh

3 Likes

Good lord,
that is stultifying.

1 Like

maybe you just need upbeat music with synth drums.

1 Like

Since violation of the rules is a point deduction and not disqualification, I suppose if you had enough “talent” (we ARE talking subjective judging here), you could bank enough points to be able to get away with it. Like fuck you money.

They should increase the difficulty by requiring the competitors to solve math problems on the ice.

It is far from easy to make a perfectly executed summation symbol.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.