Watch these newborn baby bobtail skinks lapping up some tasty vittles for their very first meal

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/14/watch-these-newborn-baby-bobtail-skinks-lapping-up-some-tasty-vittles-for-their-very-first-meal.html

2 Likes

I would rather annoy a caracal. But they do look lovely in the still.

3 Likes

Yeah - I looked anyway. Tongues like metronomes (rhythmically, that is, not physically).

2 Likes

I didn’t know skinks got so pronounced scales. The ones around here are all smooth and freaking fast little guys. Blink and you will miss them.

Five lined skinks are the most common and the young ones have blue tails!

5-lined-chris-harrison-cc_by-nc

2 Likes

"The Darling Range Wildlife Shelter in Western Australia also posted a shorter version of the video, explaining that they had saved the mama and her two unborn babies from the recent Wanneroo Fires. "

2 Likes

It’s adorable, but I keep thinking that those babies are huge relative to the size of mama. Laying eggs that size must have been… difficult.

1 Like

Because evolution took a decided left turn here in Australia and everything is weird compared to the rest of the world :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Last time I visited my parents mum was proudly showing me how she’d finally made her strawberries bobtail-proof by raising the pots, at the same time accidentally grabbing a bobtail hiding in the strawberry leaves.

They are slow and calm lizards but nothing gets between them and a ripe strawberry.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.