Watch these two guys in Japan remove a great deal of snow from a roof

One of my favorite Japanese words is transliterated as fwa-fwa, which is the sound that snow makes as it gently falls to the ground. I love Japanese onomatopoeia. I just found this page that lists a bunch of them.

8 Likes

I’m betting this video is somewhere up in Hokkaido.

My last trip, I learned that the ski resorts at Niseko get something insane like 50 feet of snow annually. (Wikipedia says 595 inches average)

3 Likes

Screw that, i’ll take my Texas heat :frowning:

1 Like

Real quick, if that roof were 30’*15’, and the snow was 5’ thick, that’s 2250 ft^3, so 64 m^3. With fresh damp snow, at 150 kg/m^3, that’s 9600 kg, or 21000 lb.

Yes, I mix SI with English. No, I’m not sorry.

2 Likes

Yeah, I thought that until the end when they just jumped off into the incredibly deep snow.

1 Like

That is why they have to clear the roof in order to prevent the building from collapsing, however with aging society in Japan, this is becoming an increasingly serious problem.

3 Likes

There’s ways to cut corners

5 Likes

Now I’m craving wedding cake, vanilla ice cream and marshmallow rabbits.

2 Likes

Been there, done that.

I have one, although a cheaper plastic version. It literally clears snow faster and better than the snowblower.

1 Like

Snow Scoop!
Can’t live in da’ U.P. wit out one!

2 Likes

Video said Otari Hotspring which in the middle of Nagano’s mountainous snow wastelands.

Fuck that, fire ants.

4 Likes

Huh, I expected them to be using some really efficient, well thought out, well honed technique or maybe some quirky but effective piece of tech on account of them being Japanese, but no, totally standard fare all of this.
Guess I should not have been prejudiced.

1 Like

Ah yeah, fer sure, eh? But up der, we call dem yooper scoopers.

2 Likes

Yah, but I was talkin’ to a bunch of trolls an’ stuff

2 Likes

Literally haven’t seen any since I moved here 5 years ago. I’m good with Texas

1 Like

What part? Or do they just poison them where you live.

They were in my grandparents yard in Austin, and giant ant mounds at the farm near Flatonia.

2 Likes

Houston first, and now in Austin. Not a homeowner so might have something to do with it.

I’ve heard crazy ants are more problematic but haven’t seen any of those either

1 Like

I remember one summer I was so happy I hadn’t been bit all week. Last day I knelt down to look a flower or something and bastard got me. If you see my brother or uncle, say “Hey”.

2 Likes

giphy

Will do

2 Likes