Watch this 1985 trailer for fabulous upcoming movies on Night Flight

Originally published at: Watch this 1985 trailer for fabulous upcoming movies on Night Flight | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I used to sneak out of bed as a kid and watch Night Flight! Those were the glory days. I particularly miss airings of Dynaman, which essentially was the grandfather of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge (MXC) and Kung Pow. Oh the nostalgia.

5 Likes

I was gonna mention Dynaman.

I heard that they didn’t get permission from the Japanese owners of the show, who were Very Upset at how it was treated.

4 Likes

For those who remember and love Night Flight: there’s a streaming channel, from the creators of the original!

ETA: looks like I wasn’t fast enough on the draw! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

IIRC, this is where I first saw Rock ‘n’ Roll High School as a young teen.

5 Likes

That must have been before my time. My late night teenage TV memories in the 90s are of USA Up All Night with Ronda, and Joe Bob Briggs’ Monstervision.

5 Likes

I used to watch Up All Night too, but when Gilbert Godfrey hosted it. Did you ever watch Nightstand with Dirk Dietrick? It was a pretty cleverly written show. I’m not sure the comedy would pass today’s sensibilities, but as a teen in the 90’s it had me rolling.

1 Like

If your missing that weird late night cable vibe, try to catch a Racer Trash stream on Twitch.

It’s a video editor collective that does movie remixes. Think movie remixes that are at about the level of Paul’s Boutique, except that they all know the samples are illegal and just don’t give a fuck. Or maybe Plunderphonics

Basically if you’re on Boing Boing checking out the comments of a Night Flight post I think your are going to like it.

They were streaming last night and I caught the “Star Trek 420: The Voyage Home” remix and I was instantly transported back to the vibe of finding something new and weird on late night TV in the 80’s. Or in feeling in the early 90’s when a friend would show up with some dubbed VHS tape containing something like Jodorwsky, Svankmajer, or Tetsuo Iron Man.

1 Like

As a movie-crazy night-owl teenager in the 1980s, Night Flight and Z Channel really broadened my film horizons. Channels like that went a long way toward remedying the general lack of options available on TV at the time.

3 Likes

When I think of early USA programming, all I can remember are heavy replays of Howard the Duck and Weird Science.

3 Likes

This show was actually closer to the nostalgic 50’s they mentioned than today’s date.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.