Watch this deeply weird and deeply 1980s music video by Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/20/watch-this-deeply-weird-and-de.html

1 Like

The Jobriath of Kate Bushes.

11 Likes

One pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small

3 Likes

That really is soooo Kate Bush.

Somehow Kate could do all of that and it would work. Even the tight-rope walking. She would make the tight-rope walking look like ballet.

6 Likes

I met her in 1987 and let’s just say that 1987-Grace-Slick did not look anything like the 1967-Grace-Slick of my boyhood fantasies. <sigh>

3 Likes

That’s partly because she spent the advance for her first album on interpretive dance training from the same guy who taught Bowie. And also because she’s just fucking brilliant.

Grace Slick must have seen a few KB videos, and Slick heard her ego whisper “oh surely you can do all that, that Kate is just some unknown teenager. You can do what a teenager can do!”

5 Likes

Either that or her record company said “take a look at this, this is what we’re thinking, it’s what’s hip with the kids these days, leave it up to us, trust us, this will be so happening”

6 Likes

Don’t you want somebody to love this?

3 Likes

Perfect soundtrack for the RNC

2 Likes

i have no memory of this song. how is that possible? i’m gonna file it in the “more evidence i have jumped timelines” pile.

5 Likes

roger that

1 Like

Does she have extra teeth?

@pesco I’ll see your Grace Slick and raise you Nina Hagen from the same era:

2 Likes

I’ll see your Nina Hagen and raise you another Nina Hagen, plus Don Rickles:

( :arrow_up: I probably found that here in the first place)

But speaking of Ms. Slick’s video, I’m reminded of a duo (lead singer, and a guitarist/keyboardist/backup vocalist) I saw in Austin back in '94. Their music reminded me of this video. The duo in general reminded me of two people who had been in suspended animation since the late-60s or early-70s, were suddenly thrust into the 1990s, but in trying to get their music across, somehow believed they were in the early 1980s (e.g. legwarmers; power suit). Or the joke was on me, and they knew exactly what they were doing. I didn’t not like it but I never heard from, nor of, them again and the internet turns up nothing.

1 Like

OK, I’ll fold!

1 Like

Ok, I bit and started watching it. I had to avert my eyes after about 30 seconds. I then pushed on and tried to watch segments about every one minute forward in the video. Kept having to avert my eyes. I also have to say I’m with @Franko on this one

“i have no memory of this song. how is that possible? i’m gonna file it in the “more evidence i have jumped timelines” pile.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.