Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" interpolated to 60fps 4k is freaking everyone out

Originally published at: Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" interpolated to 60fps 4k is freaking everyone out | Boing Boing

7 Likes

So Rick Astley set up my brother’s TV?

7 Likes

freaking everyone out

I’m NOT freaking out, not now too, Ok, right now, I’m freaking out…

12 Likes

Rick Astley in high-def video with audio through a $1000 stereo system is still just a Rickroll.

That’s the joke here, right?

16 Likes

It’s impressive how deep his voice is, and how young he looks. And how loooooooong that song has been around. I grew up before it hit, and he’s my age…boy does that make me feel old.

19 Likes

It’s so realistic because of the crispness, it’s like being there in the 90’s.

Which of course I was. I was pretty young then, and how vibrant and crisp this is, is how I remember the 90’s.

I would hazard a guess that this for some folks harkens back to a decade they’d rather remember in a more idealized way. Certainly, I’d rather not relive high school.

5 Likes

Oh come on, that’s not even trying…

5 Likes

He looked weirdly old, back then, like someone born in a 40-year-old’s body. I don’t know if it’s just the high resolution smoothness, or that I’m now in advanced middle age and everybody looks young … but he looks about 17. No wonder he has weathered the passage of time so well.

5 Likes

The original video’s from ‘87.

12 Likes

That’s some next-level rickrolling right there: telling you right to your face that you’re being rickrolled and still getting you to click on it.

28 Likes

But… but… I LOVE IT ROB! :heart_eyes:

15 Likes

Even worse.

2 Likes

Must be a slow news day.

1 Like

Right?! I don’t care what anyone says - this song SLAPS.

13 Likes

It is just going to take our brains time to get used to this higher quality media. It is a bit unnerving how crisp and clear it is.

3 Likes

Though history has done its best to erase him, the best part of the video is, of course, the Black bartender. He’s Clive Clarke, who is an incredible dancer, athlete, and performer. He’s still around, but shares a name with a famous Irish footballer so he’s difficult to google. “Clive Clarke dancer” is a good place to start if you’d like to know more about this amazing talent.

24 Likes

On the other hand that’s the first time I’ve watched the video the whole way through in thirty three (THIRTY THREE, i feel old) years…

2 Likes

My favorite part is how everyone’s face turns to a brief horrific acid trip when they do a quick spin. The algorithm is pretty effective at managing faces when they are moving in predictable ways, but when there are not enough frames/too much motion blur, it starts to look like someone trained DeepDream with a bunch of Edvard Munch paintings.

10 Likes

Amazing. I’d call it ric4Krolling in that case.

7 Likes

An English “thing” that was always our One Weird Trick.

18 Likes