Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" interpolated to 60fps 4k is freaking everyone out

rick-astley-never-gonna-give-bartender

26 Likes

Nice smile, good voice, stylish. I grew up in the 80s, but I never knew if Rick Astley was supposed to be a heartthrob or not.

3 Likes

Definitely can move:

9 Likes

sigh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ocykBzWDiM

9 Likes
13 Likes
9 Likes

I’m not falling for it.

again.

6 Likes

Nope.

2 Likes

Once in a Lifetime, by the Talking Heads, is 40 years old now. 40 years before Once in a Lifetime, the top song was Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy. Those are very, very different sounds. Music went through massive changes through the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s.

Not so much since the early 80’s, though. I listened to a bunch of modern top songs, and it’s not terribly different than the state of the market in 1981. Sure, there was grunge, but that’s just an offshoot of alt and punk rock. Goth, an offshoot of punk and electronica (and sadness… don’t @ me, I like goth music, I was VERY sad back then). But overall, modern hits would slot in well with hits back then, and vice versa.

Not sure what that says. I don’t reach the conclusions, I simply note the shifting currents.

EDIT: Oh, and this video is cool. He really does look sooooo young in the improved video. I love how he went from “big one hit wonder” to “internet joke” and eventually “beloved older crooner.”

6 Likes

Crazy. I just RickRolled myself.

2 Likes

Never gonna give never gonna give

1 Like

These upscaled videos look great when they are playing, but don’t hold up when they are paused. You can really see the interpolation and de-blurring, which is fair considering the source material. Technology is magic.

9 Likes

A rare sunny day in Silent Hill.

8 Likes

shot at 24 frames per second on 16mm film or 30fps on betacam

Or 25 frames per second (as it was likely done in UK - PAL is 25 fps whereas NTSC is 30 fps)

3 Likes

I assumed @beschizza had something to do with the eyes… at 1:48 too

6 Likes

But it’s eyes, not her mouths?

3 Likes

I was seeing Rick’s teeth within eyeliner borders, e.g. 1:53

1 Like

I dunno… that just looks like the light reflecting off his eyes to me…

I think you’re just missing @beschizza’s craftsmanship in photoshopping…

3 Likes

Aha, the deft touch of a human hand; the machines aren’t quite there yet.

3 Likes

KID #1: Dad, can we buy that Pixar movie about the balloon house?

ASTLEY: No.

KID #2: Dad, I need help off this jungle gym!

ASTLEY: Forget it.

11 Likes