Watch this expert woodturner make a coffee mug from an apple log

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/15/watch-this-expert-woodturner-m.html

3 Likes

“Today, I make a coffee mug using just a spoon and a cinnamon streusel muffin. Stay tuned for the delicious but scalding results!”

2 Likes

Nice. How many hours?

Needs a lot of tea to be drunk until completion. I don’t drink much coffee, but I like the mug.

1 Like

I could watch this stuff all day. In fact I just spent half an hour, what with this and two of his other videos.

3 Likes

Awesome cup. Too bad he doesn’t know how to properly use a French Press.

2 Likes

Came here looking for coffee-making snark, was not disappointed.

8 Likes

Does nobody work any wood anymore without smothering it in liquid plastic?

That said, the best part of any woodworking project is the polishing and applying the oil (or clear coat, or lacquer or what have you) when suddenly the grain comes out as if by magic. It’s especially great on a lathe but unfortunately he doesn’t have it turning while applying tung oil.

5 Likes

In case anyone is wondering, an apple log is just like a regular log, except that it cost $1,000 and you’ll need a new one next year.

9 Likes

I wouldn’t think that mug would work in a microwave, considering that metal handle…

1 Like

Paging @Wanderfound

3 Likes

Yeah the mug is pretty, the coffee looks ghastly. I reckon if you need a pint of the stuff, you’re making it wrong.

2 Likes

It was enjoyable to watch, even as I kept asking myself, “Why is he doing THAT now?”.

Honestly, all that work for a hot beverage really puts my routine to shame. /s

2 Likes

Currently on the lathe…

It might be celery top pine, but I’m unsure; the lump of wood came from another worker’s scrap pile.

I would’ve had it finished yesterday, but I managed to strip out the head of one of the bolts on my chuck when I was trying to swap to the remounting jaws.

Problem sorted now, though; should get it finished today.

10 Likes

All done:

There was a minor disaster just as I was finishing it:

But fortunately there was enough beef left in the base to allow me to just trim it off:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.