I fixed my coffee maker in a bad way, then in an awesome way

[Read the post]

9 Likes

12 Likes

That’s a nifty bit of hacking @frauenfelder!

6 Likes

How was this animated?

5 Likes

Ah, you want the secret? I haven’t the foggiest idea, but I thought the same thing as soon as I saw it.

4 Likes

15 Likes

I lost two pots the same way, and bought a Keurig to save from losing a third one. Course, didn’t think of this.

3 Likes

Art Clokey’s son is alive and in the animation business. Maybe he knows?

5 Likes

Wow, I didn’t know that.

2 Likes

There’s a “Star Wars universe” lived-in beat-up vibe to Mark’s repaired pot. Like it could be a droid in a scruffy back-street cafe.

8 Likes

Maybe there’s a cutaway at the back? It could be just big enough to hold the gumballs.

3 Likes

My best guess is a series of completely separate models, glass sphere and all. Why make it harder than it has to be?

2 Likes

It’s just the front half of the bowl.

Oh no wait - Gumby set the camera on self-timer release. For each shot het had to turn into many little gumballs so he could enter and leave the bowl.

5 Likes

Looks like a cut-out to me – I think that the smear from the block in the upper left (Gumby’s right) follows the curve of the upper edge of the cut-out.
You can kind’a see it better here:

9 Likes

I’m glad you didn’t grab the handle with your bare hand, Mark!

4 Likes

I always find the quick-and-dirty hack much more satisfying than the one that requires complicated and fussy planning, measuring, and implementation.

7 Likes

Do you not use your espresso machine any more? Your stories about adding the PID and getting trained by a some big shot barista (sorry I forgot his name) inspired me to up my coffee game and I have been living the espresso life ever since.

2 Likes

As a believer in the sunk cost fallacy

I know you’re just making a funny here, but imho it only counts as a fallacy if the cost of avoiding replacing the pot outweighs the cost of just buying a new pot. And since economics doesn’t factor in environmental cost, I kinda wonder if the fallacy itself is a fallacy.

Also, are the new pots as good as the one you already have? Seems like there are a lot of products on the market that look like the old stuff, but aren’t as good. Were you planning on doing any paying work while you made a new handle instead, or were you just planning on, I don’t know, having a Game of Thrones marathon viewing? Did you get a nice dopamine boost from successfully fixing it?

I like fixing stuff when I can. It keeps the stuff out of the landfill and I learn something new nearly every time. I got that from Dad; someday, I’m going to inherit a bunch of 150-year-old-plus hand tools that get used. It horrifies collectors, but the tools from back then are really good quality.

9 Likes

I bet his dad knew where to get all the good drugs.

The kind of ABS used in 3D printers is a thermoplastic, not a thermosetting polymer, it’s just a consequence of how the printer prints. Thermosetting plastics have to be made by injection molding. The only thermosetting 3D printers (that I know of personally, and I know about plastic, not 3D printers.) seem to be experimental.

3 Likes