What's the best end times coffee maker?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/07/whats-the-best-end-times-coffee-maker.html

1 Like

Spot on.

I would only like to add that you’ll want to buy some gaskets too. They last a long dang time, but can fail eventually, especially if you leave it on the stove way too long. I won’t take the blame for that little experience, but the only thing that was destroyed was the gasket, so it’s water under the bridge now.

5 Likes

I took one of these camping in September and made coffee on a MSR Pocket Rocket stove. Worked like a charm.

6 Likes

Moka pots are what I grew up with (literally, my parents started including us in the breakfast coffee by about 11 or 12), but I eventually started finding the taste too burnt, too bitter. I switched to the Aeropress about a decade ago, entirely because of BoingBoing, and I’ve never looked back.

The only thing I miss is the ritual smell of the coffee bubbling on the stove, which is actually a bigger thing than I realized at first, but never having burnt or bitter coffee, and half as much cleanup effort is definitely worth it.

4 Likes

Emergency Espresso

24 Likes

Early in our relationship, my wife and I unintentionally exchanged coffee themed gifts for a holiday. She gave me Bodum’s moka pot, and I have loved and abused it thoroughly for years.

We’re Aeropress junkies these days, but I still enjoy a rich, dark-ish roast from the moka.

2 Likes

This can’t possibly have worked and yet now I want to try it.

5 Likes

The best “end times” coffee maker is going to be whatever is the lowest tech, simplest, most robust one. Which would lead me to say that a simple pot you can put over a fire would be the best. You can strain out the coffee with a reusable, washable cloth and honestly takes little skill and effort, making coffee in a pot is something that my family does every now and then… same for loose leaf tea.

11 Likes

One of the engineers in my lab uses one of these on a hot plate. The other uses a little briki, as his wife is Greek.
We’re frequently treated to the lovely aroma of burnt coffee, as engineers get distracted easily.

7 Likes

How are you going to get coffee in the end times?

18 Likes

My current morning coffee is toss hand-ground coffee into an old sauce pan half full of water and heat. If the end times come, the only thing I’ll need to change is replacing the electric heat with a fire.

4 Likes

You know what’s even easier? Cold brew.

Not quite the same taste or experience, but my stomach really appreciates the low acidity.

5 Likes

i was really expecting old-school cowboy coffee to be the surprise answer, too.

6 Likes

Strain out the grounds? Just let 'em sink to the bottom and don’t drink th last few mms.

TBH, I just said that so I could say this… Canadian infantry, east coast Canada, '80s. First thing the cooks did was put on a monster pot of coffee on a burner in the mess tent. I’m told, and mostly believe, they just kept adding water and ground coffee, for as long as a couple weeks. When the grounds got to thick on the bottom, dig 'em out with a shovel, add more.

Stuff was strong at the start of an exercise. Stronger as the days passed. You learned quickly not to dig too deep with the ladle.

6 Likes

Did he say to start with hot water so as not to burn it? That must be why I’ve never really cared for the coffee and my Bialeti got relegated to camping gear.

3 Likes

I picked up an aluminum pot like this at a garage sale years ago.

It came along with us on many a canoe trip. Boil water on a butane stove or a fire, toss in a handful of ground coffee, let steep, pour through a fine mesh plastic tea strainer.

We finally replaced it with a plastic French press, which makes better coffee, but doesn’t look as cool, and we still need a pot to boil the water in.

6 Likes

Yeah it’s more than doable to not bother straining them but filtering through a washable fabric is pretty easy as well. It’s how my grandma made me coffee and despite the low tech method something about it always tasted amazing to me :slight_smile:

Cold brew is great, especially on a hot day. Though its never quite the same as you say, i do cold brew on and off but my go to is always freshly ground hot coffee. The comfort i get from it i just can’t replicate with cold brew.

3 Likes

Go simpler-

4 Likes

oh ho! the real question!

7 Likes

Pro tips: use medium to low heat. Cut the heat as soon as it’s done percolating. Rinse with water never wash with soap.
Enjoy for decades.

5 Likes