I fixed my coffee maker in a bad way, then in an awesome way

I’ve killed 2 stove top coffee makers and it really does suck having gotten rid of them when I could have put a heat resistant handle on it (and replace the rubber seal inside). The only reason I haven’t gone back to using a new one is because I hate doing the cleanup.

Bamboo doesn’t burn? Did not know that. Good to know.

Hmm. Apparently I misread that - bamboo doesn’t melt like plastic does… which is true but after a quick search the burning thing totally happens.

Yours looks better than mine but mine . I considered wood but thought it would burn . I used garage hooks from the pound shop. Didnt take two minutes to fit and they have been working for a year since the handles dropped off

15 Likes

Incidentally, if your moka pot is a Bialetti you can buy replacement handles online for under $10 (or under $5 in any hardware store in Italy).

7 Likes

When I dropped mine in the sink and broke the handle, I bought a new handle on Amazon for $7. Sometimes my Spender ways overwhelm my Maker instincts. I seriously admire you folks who don’t take the easy way!

5 Likes

Bamboo Wood Filament may have worked with the 3D printing.

1 Like

Yep. My dad did the same to his classic one of these when the same thing happened to his 30 years ago.
You really don’t want to let these things go!

I spent half a day trying to boil the stank out of the inner chamber when I rediscovered it in a box in the garden many years later. It had been put into storage with grinds still in it, and I was severely disappointed that the taste of the mould that had grown inside it couldn’t be removed by any means, and I eventually had to biff it.

2 Likes

That’s a nice fix.

I actually don’t really like my Bialetti, or rather I didn’t like how the coffee turned out after trying several different brands. Eventually I tried Turkish coffee, and found it was a lot more to my liking, so now I make Turkish coffee in a cezve or ibrik. Since I am usually only making one small cup at a time this is a lot easier to clean up and a lot faster to make. I also don’t have the counter space for a nice espresso maker, so a small no.2 size cezve makes more sense.

9 Likes

This is awesome.

5 Likes

We have a bunch of ibriks where the tinning on the inside has worn away so we are afraid to use them (which is why we have more than one). However, Turkish coffee is great. Just make sure that if you order it in a Greek restaurant you order “Greek coffee,” not “Turkish”.

I was once at a dinner party where people from three different countries who claim this coffee as their own were arguing over the right way to make it.

6 Likes

i feel like the top part should be a hexagon… you could just sand down the four corners.

also, if you wanted to go with your 3D printed parts - you could do a lost PLA >> aluminum process. that would be pretty sweet.

2 Likes

It’s a thing of beauty when a kludge does the duty.

3 Likes

No, the jellybeans don’t move between frames. It’s the same model.

Thank you Mark , like you I love this coffee pot. The handles are suspect and after the third one I was not going to buy another . I try to fix anything that breaks but this was a stinker as there was nothing to work with. In this case literally thinking laterally solved the problem

You know, they do sell the handle and the knob as spares. Same goes for the rubber gasket and the filter it holds in place, that do have to be replaced every so often, and definitely when the pot has been cooked this way. And the safety valve is meant to be replaced too if it gets too old and covered in scale.

Haha! Bada-bing!

I can totally imagine this as a Zorg vs. Father Vito Cornelius “Odd Couple” youtube maker video.

1 Like

When I was in college, I dated a Greek Jordanian who invited me to a talk given by a member of the Greek consulate. Other than me, it was exclusively a Greek and Greek-American audience. He showed a map with the Turkish-contested border on the Aegean, at which point I turned to my boyfriend and said, “Well, that seems reasonable.” Wow. The looks I got.

Live and learn. :neutral_face:

5 Likes

What, you still make coffee using one of these, and not an aeropress? You should three-dee print one yourself.

Heh, sorry, just out boing-boinging Boing Boing.

3 Likes

Wood is great! It doesn’t burn on the stove - many pans have wooden handles.

I made a repair piece for my ice maker’s full-bin detector of wood. It handles freezing cold as well as boiling hot.

4 Likes