Watch this fantastic "quick change" magic act

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/27/watch-this-fantastic-quick-c.html

7 Likes

What I couldn’t work out was how Penn was able to exactly mirror the expression I had on my face throughout this amazing act. :dizzy_face:

13 Likes

She’s a wizard Harry

8 Likes

I think it is even better than that. I think that she is an engineer! That’s some cool mechanical based illusion work.

22 Likes

There’s a few where pausing makes it clear what’s going on (still great tricks like the green dress jumping onto her), but the one near the end where the metallic flowers make the reddish dress turn into a black bikini still looks like magic.

7 Likes

still great tricks like the green dress jumping onto her

Agreed, this part – I find – is the easiest to see through. I wonder why the green dress on the rack actually had the wrong color… That seems like an avoidable give away!?

1 Like

She’s a Witch!

4 Likes

I saw this act on broadcast and am delighted to see it again.

Lea’s amazing at her craft.

2 Likes

Having performed at CME, I was able to recognize a few of the changes - although I had to REALLY slow things down to actually SEE them. But I’m with Penn - some of those changes are mind-blowing and owe themselves solely to her talent, not only a performer, but as a designer as well.

12 Likes

I’m terrible at deducing how magic tricks are done, but I assume the fact that each subsequent outfit is smaller than the previous one is relevant? Like she’s wearing them all the whole time and it’s a bunch of elaborate ways to remove them? Still, that would only account for half of what is in that act. Amazing.

7 Likes

I’d think so. It’s mainly layered outfits, each with cleverly engineered predetermined breaking points so that they can be ripped off super fast (thus, invisible to the eye). Still, it’s very well done :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Definitely one of the best magic acts because even when you can kind of see how it’s done, it’s done with so much attention to design, precision engineering, and showmanship that you still are amazed by it.

5 Likes

Mirrors. She’s using mirrors. And a bit of smoke.

8 Likes

Smoke AND mirrors!? What kind of dangerous madness is this?!

3 Likes

It’s very clever to make a whole act out of the quick-change operations. Usually that sort of thing is relegated to a secondary piece as a magician’s ‘lovely assistant’ re-appears after having been disappeared. Brava!

This is absolutely true for MOST quick change acts. But there is a lot more going on here.

Dammit, I put my underwear on backwards today.

3 Likes

It’s not an “act,” Michael.
It’s an illusion.

tumblr_inline_mnkmk3pHoW1qz4rgp

5 Likes

That device is another human. (Not to take anything away from a fantastic act!)

5 Likes

I was most impressed by the lipstick color change in the promo part. The rest was still pretty cool.