Watch this gentleman open a 65-year-old sleeping bag in a can

This would have been packed away on a plane (an F-84F according to the link @Israel_B provided) and probably attached to the ejector seat. The can would have protected the bag against damage during the ejection process as well as keeping the bag from getting damp and moldy while in storage.

7 Likes

Why is he called “Gentleman” in the headline? He is not in Florida nor performing/actingout in an absurd manner.

Oddly enough, I had viewed this video “sleeping bag in a can” last night.

4 Likes

Yep. Good enough for preserving even after 60+ years.

Well, pilots, maybe. Most air forces like little guys if they can find 'em. But not soldiers. My grandfather fought in WWI and he was a very large man, his field boots were custom made size 13s.

6 Likes

One of the great joys of my misspent youth was hitting the War Surplus Store back when they carried real war surplus and government stuff. Just rummaging was an education.

Sometimes just trying to figure out what something was part of or was supposed to have done was serious amusement.

And it was the ideal place if you wanted to buy spent casings from a 155 MM howitzer to use as planters. :wink:

6 Likes

I’d rather have that sleeping bag than the paper sleeping bags we were given when I used to fight brush fires for L.A. County.

1 Like

My dad has a large reflecting telescope that my great-grandfather built out of surplus WWII naval optics and aircraft gunsights, along with a big box of spares, including an aircraft torpedo sight still in the crate. I don’t find anything nearly as interesting in the last old-school army-navy store in my area.

2 Likes

So cool!
You get a sleeping bag and a big roasting pan and griddle!
Win win win!

3 Likes
1 Like

@for_SCIENCE @jimp few months ago was in Dallas and was sad to see all those kinda places from my childhood gone

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.