Watch this gymnastics coach's incredible reflexes as he saves a young girl from a bad fall

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/27/watch-this-gymnastics-coachs.html

7 Likes

Good catch.

16 Likes

Dad reflexes ftw.

14 Likes

#reallifesuperhero

10 Likes

Incredible. Incredible that nearly everybody makes videos in the always-wrong portrait format.

13 Likes

NINJA!  

5 Likes

Good gym teachers/coaches usually are on top of things like this guy. At my old high school the coach there helped a girl when she landed hard on her leg and broke it, he set it immediately and her recovery was surprisingly fast. Had it been left as is it should’ve been a more severe injury with a longer recovery.

13 Likes

Our gym teacher wasn’t so good. One of my old classmates found this out the hard way. We were taking turns on the balance beam, and D slipped off. Somehow, the gym teacher missed her as she fell down between the teacher and the beam. D hit her head on it before landing on her rear.

After that, none of us trusted that teacher as a spotter. I’m not sure how it was reported, but D was back in class the next day. Thank goodness we got another teacher before they moved us on to the springboard and pommel horse!

4 Likes

What’s wrong is that YouTube puts black bars down the side so i can’t watch it in portrait properly.

4 Likes

Spotters, people! i could use one when in the course of normal walking around.

7 Likes

Well spotted, old chap

2 Likes

See, a cape would’ve just gotten in his way.

6 Likes

Now explain why there wasn’t already a spotter stationed on either side of the landing area for this girl’s first vault.

3 Likes

As a former gymnast and competition spotter, falls usually look worse than they really are. All that foam and padding do a surprisingly effective job of limiting serious injury. One of the first things you learn in gymnastics is how to fall properly.

But yes, at junior competitions like this with young girls doing back handspring vaults, a spotter is usually stationed right at the horse.

You can also see how high the pads are stacked which means they are anticipating a less-than-perfect dismount. Usually you practice vaults into the pit before you graduate to landing them on pads.

8 Likes

Bostin Steve Austin!

Stop fucking vertical video syndrome

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.