Watch this head-stabilized video of a champion hurdler

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/10/watch-this-head-stabilized-video-of-a-champion-hurdler.html

5 Likes

That was totally weird, and I loved it. Hurdlers are amazing, and watching those with great technique is very cool. A sport I wanted to compete in during high school, but I was trash at it (and tore up my knee triple jumping in any case).

6 Likes

And that’s why you don’t really need to stabilize, it looks just as amazing anyway.

7 Likes

This was such a cool way to emphasize the technique, that the head stabilization was very uncanny valley-ish because you really do focus on head-stabilization when you run. I ran the 110 and 300 meter hurdles, and had it pounded into me that “you don’t jump hurdles, you run hurdles.” It really is 50% groin flexibility to flatten that back leg. A head stabilization of the last leg of the 300 hurdles would be more fun, as holy shit, that is an exhausting event, an by the end you are hopping sluggishly, then collapsing.

9 Likes

It would be nice to see a non-stabilized version.

4 Likes

I enjoyed the mental soundtrack where he says “blblblbl!” each time he jumps a hurdle

4 Likes

Another 50% is hamstring flexibility of the lead leg. Some of us never got past that to even worry about the back leg.

The final 50% consists of minor considerations such as speed.

6 Likes

As someone who was not athletic in school, it shocked both me and my sadistic middle-school gym teacher that I had perfect hurdling form. It galled her no end that she had to call me, of all people, up in front of the class to demonstrate.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.