Watch this induction forge turn metal red-hot in 12 seconds

thats-what-she-said-the-office

3 Likes

We bought an induction stove for our house this past year, in part because it’s much more efficient than a regular electric stove. A regular electric stove heats an element, which physically transfers heat to the pan, losing a lot of waste heat. The induction stove heats the bottom of the pan directly.

Also, it boils a pan of water freakishly fast.

1 Like

My hotel room has a induction stove.

I’m used to cooking with gas, though, and the neat trick of removing from heat with just a turn of the knob.

Are the red lights on the induction pads supposed to be an added safety feature, or is just a useful side effect of the technology?

1 Like

Red-hot in ~2 seconds (via Inertia Friction Welding; jump to the 2 minute mark if you’re in a hurry). One of our vendors demonstrated this for us several years ago… sort of a surprise ‘gift’ left for the end of our tour there:

1 Like

I would SO love to put that up on my cubicle wall… but I wouldn’t be able to get away with it.

2 Likes

I was amazed by that too when I last visited my folks. (They switched to an induction range after my mom almost burnt down the kitchen via the gas range!)

1 Like

com-optimize%20(12)

3 Likes

Hm, I have no red lights, must be an added feature on that stove…

We were warned never to wear jewelry, even non-ferrous jewelry, near the induction furnaces in the rocket motor factory. Supposedly you could stick your bare hand into the field without damage, but if you had on a wedding ring, it’d burn your finger right off from eddy currents or something. I never tested this warning,and always wondered if it was really true.

3 Likes

Apparently an induction coil can also levitate metal while melting it:

Message sent

1 Like

Well that’s hardly a proper scientific attitude! Now get to experimenting!

2 Likes

You’re right. If I still worked there I’d have to sneak into the furnace room with a frankfurter and my wedding band. For science!!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.