Watch this induction forge turn metal red-hot in 12 seconds

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/26/watch-this-induction-forge-tur.html

5 Likes

Pretty nice little gadgeteering.
When I worked for GM, they used to use induction heating to heat treat and harden the faces of swash plates for a/c compressors. There was a nice little rig that would heat a half dozen plates to dull red in about 30s, then would automatically pop them loose into a water bath to cool. One operator would snap the plates in for treatment, then would pull them out of the bath into a bucket for the next step

8 Likes

I want that as my Super Power. I would only use it for good…

10 Likes

That’s amazingly fast. The pivoting bottom die on the hammer is pretty neat, too.

3 Likes

Several things in one short video to NOT put your dick into. Or hand…

4 Likes

to be fair, the induction heater would only be a problem if you have interesting piercings…

8 Likes

OH yeah, now that I think about it… But that hammer…

3 Likes

hammer always wins

6 Likes

how many watts & volts?

2 Likes

I live in the city and have been looking for an alternative to my coal forge. I wonder how this stacks up against propane for expense.

3 Likes

If your neighbors have outdoor sockets, it’s essentially free.

Evelynn! The TV’s gone dim again!!!

13 Likes

Funny, I don’t think I even needed the warning.

4 Likes

I don’t think an induction heater would do much to your dick.

Induction crucibles for refining and alloying metals are also incredibly cool.

5 Likes

10 Likes

Yes, we know they are cool, they were featured on BB.

1 Like

There’s so much you need to know about engineering before you go sticking your dick into things.

6 Likes

I’m curious how much the electrical bill would have been for that–just heating up the one bar.

Maybe not too much? I guess electrical stoves and heaters get glowing-hot too, to lesser extents. My first impression was that it’d be an assload of energy, but now I’m not so sure.

Someone on the internet tell me!

3 Likes

Looks like 15 to 25 KW for 1/300 of an hour =~ .07 KWH.
Check my math.

3 Likes

I might be happy to let you sometimes get away with using such super powers for naughty.

4 Likes

Propane’s cheap. Propane forges are cheap if you build them yourself. If you’re crafty (which you hopefully are if you’re messing with a forge), then it’s easy to build your own burners with some pretty commonly available parts.

I helped a bunch of guys build propane forges built on one or two venturi burners, and am jonesing to build myself a new forced air forge (but the kid wants a playhouse, so guess what’s being built?).

Hit me up off list if you want my stash of info on burners.

6 Likes