Gooey, melty, sizzling, steamy fun with lava and dry ice

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/15/gooey-melty-sizzling-steamy.html

2 Likes

That was surprisingly boring.

25 Likes

The neat part is they cancel out, so you can stick your hand right in between. Try it!

11 Likes

Yeah, this dude’s videos aren’t very interesting. He tends to do a couple of things over and over again.

Shredding a thing
Casting a thing
Casting a thing. Then shredding it.

He seems to be good at hitting trends though, so pops up in everyone’s feed

1 Like

What’s with this? I was expecting something interesting.

3 Likes

heh, heh…

4 Likes

It’s alchemy! He transmuted mere rock into stone!

8 Likes

I was at least hoping to get a good look at how the properties of the rock changed from the original state. (Scoria type rock to more, what? Flow basalt? Glass-like?)

4 Likes

it’s part a competition to see how much CO2 can be pointlessly spumed into the atmosphere in the service of viral videos

7 Likes

What could possibly go wrong?

I suppose - if you’re talking about the CO2 from the power plant that ran the industrial gas place. Most dry ice is a byproduct of making liquid nitrogen, liquid oxygen, liquid argon, all of which have many medical, industrial, and aeronautical uses. If the electricity to run the refrigeration is carbon neutral, then all this is doing is returning CO2 to the atmosphere after sucking it out.

7 Likes

Honestly, not a whole lot, according to the video. It’s about as exciting as putting peanut butter on regular ice

5 Likes

I’m betting liquid nitrogen would be more interesting. Pretty hard to be more boring. At least the video was all actual content instead of a 2 minute intro, lots of random jabbering, and then followed by a few more minutes of like and subscribe.

5 Likes

Yeah, I was expecting… something. The only thing that’s even vaguely of interest are the neat impressions of the ice in the bottom of the mass, as the ice instantly cooled it enough to maintain its shape on contact. I’m wondering if water ice would do the same thing. (Though I kind of suspect so, given how quickly it solidified just exposed to air.)

5 Likes

Jeezus, it never occurred to me you could just re-create lava by melting some pumice!

5 Likes

Yeah, as a Big Island resident, it’s comforting to know that all this cooled lava I’m standing on can be reconstituted in the event of a severe lava shortage.

14 Likes

I dunno, I found the CO2 converting from solid to gas to be sublime.

12 Likes

At least it managed to make an accidental dick shape

5 Likes

I remember dudes in my neighborhood in the city back in the 80’s talking about “cooking rock”, I never knew what they were talking about until now.

5 Likes

Fascinating. My hypothesis was that the lava would sublimate the dry ice like a hot knife through butter. Instead, it just hung out on the top.

2 Likes