Make soft-serve ice cream at home with delicious liquid dry ice

[Read the post]

I’ve done this with fry ice, but now I’m dying to know how to do it with liquid nitrogen! Talk about a bait and switch headline…

2 Likes

To many, a stand mixer does qualify as fancy equipment…

1 Like

Did you watch the video? There is no liquid nitrogen used, just dry ice. EDIT: never mind, I see it’s Xeni who mistakenly wrote “liquid nitrogen” into the headline, when in fact there is none used in this linked recipe.

I’m not sure how one would know liquid nitrogen was “delicious” either. I don’t think your tongue would survive the tasting.

1 Like

“delicious dry ice” sold me…

1 Like

The Leydenfrost effect will save you.

4 Likes

That was in the back of my head when I posted. It would depend on quantity of course. Still not sure how much tasting would be going on.

@xeni Closer on the headline but carbon dioxide actually skips the liquid phase during transition (see sublimation) so us pedantic geeks are still going to look at it cross-eyed.

3 Likes

I’ve had beer ice cream made with liquid nitrogen. Well, technically it was just beer and liquid nitrogen, but it made a very nice frozen treat that greatly resembled ice cream. The beer used was Yazoo Dos Perros and the freezing brought out a distinct chocolate flavor you don’t get drinking it at warmer temperatures.

2 Likes

At 100 kPa pressure. At higher pressures, CO2 merrily goes liquid. If we have to be pedantic, and we do, we can go the full monty.

Even water ice is happy to sublimate.

2 Likes

Yes, but if it’s liquid it can’t also be dry ice, now, can it?

That depends on the temperature and pressure. And you have a line on the state diagram where you can get solid dry ice totally wet with liquid CO2.

Well yes. Very little in the video to suggest we aren’t working somewhere near 1 atm though.

1 Like

Just as long as you are careful.

2 Likes

Hmmm, what about a puree of duchesse de bourgogne and raspberry ice cream? Ooh,and served in cedar bowls!

1 Like

well now it says “liquid dry ice”.

Which, you know, doesn’t happen at normal atmospheric pressure.

1 Like

Depending on how you’re using the word, it’s entirely possible for a liquid not to be wet.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.