See what happens when dry ice is mixed with clear slime

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/19/see-what-happens-when-dry-ice-is-mixed-with-clear-slime.html

8 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

Dry ice and soapy water has always been my go to.

8 Likes

Cool effect.

1 Like

The substance they’re adding at about five seconds in is dihydrogen monoxide.

6 Likes

That’s dangerous stuff

2 Likes

So now it’s carbonated slime, right?

3 Likes

I know, right? Kills thousands every year.

2 Likes

Press the flat of a knife into dry ice and it will scream. You need a supply of room temperature knives if you want to keep playing.

Also good:

2 Likes

I remember seeing my chemistry teacher doing this (you get bubbles willed with dry-ice ‘smoke’), and then going one better by using a gas tap to inflate the bubbles so they rose up. Once they were hovering above the floor, he’d light them with a burning splint, causing a small womph, and all the ‘smoke’ drops out and hits the floor.
If only chemistry was actually this fun :wink:

1 Like

Dry ice into oobleck (cornstarch and water) isn’t as exciting as I’d hoped.

We had a dry ice maker in high school so I could store samples for some AP bio stuff I was doing. We kept the cylinder and maker in the chem lab. One time while I was making it, I offhandedly said “I wonder if you could make soda with this”.

A few weeks later, I asked the chem teacher “What’s that hole in the ceiling?”

Well, apparently he took my offhanded comment as a suggestion, and tried to demo soda making to the class without really designing the attempt. He just used a regular two liter soda bottle. Dropped some dry ice in, nothing. Dropped some more in, nothing. Put the cap on and inverted it to shake it. The bottle blows the cap off, without harming the threads, and takes off like a rocket. It soaks everyone in the front rows and the bottle took a chunk out of a ceiling tile.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.