Watch how to make a small forge with a coffee can and common kitchen ingredients

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/02/watch-how-to-make-a-small-forg.html

I didn’t watch the forge video because I don’t need a forge afaik, but I liked the one about home-made intumescent tiles. The bit at the end with the bird was good

This is great. My son has been begging for a forge for a year. Since we’re going to be home schooling, I thought we’d make it part of the curriculum; build a materials list, write a safety guide, research some of the science of metallurgy, get shit red-hot and hammer the crap out of it!

4 Likes

Nice! Sounds like you have a lil maker on your hands. You may check out Alec Steele on youtube. He has some videos on starting up blacksmithing on a budget if you dont have a big shop with all the fancy power tools.

3 Likes

Melting point of aluminum: 1,221°F / 660.3°C

I cant think of why I might want to melt some aluminum, but this video made me want to fashion aluminum ingots out of soda cans nonetheless. (Aluminum is an interesting choice. It’s the metal with possibly the highest melting temperature this smelter can easily handle; the next highest is iron at 2100°F, which perhaps requires some adjustments.)

1 Like

Obligatory mention of David Gingery (RIP) who provided clear direction on how to build your own metalworking shop entirely from scrap. His work lives on in gingerybookstore(dot)com as well as numerous other places online.

3 Likes

I just asked;

Me: “Young Master Peas, have you ever heard of Alec Steele?”

Master Peas: “Hell yeah, I know who Alec Steele is!”

So, I guess he’s on the right track! Thanks!

ETA: Thanks for the suggestion, @Thermironic!

2 Likes

Hit me up when you need to. I do blacksmithing/bladesmithing, and have helped a lot of people build burners, forges (coke and gas versions), etc…

I’d be more than happy to offer any info (to keep you from making some of the mistakes I made).

2 Likes

Thanks! Will do!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.