Watch this kinetic chandelier in all its shape-shifting glory

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/02/watch-this-kintetic-chandelier.html

3 Likes

How did the designer dampen lateral movement in the glass elements (I assume it is a real object rather than CGI). With them being jiggled up and down, I’d expect some wobbling.

1 Like

“Kintetic”?

2 Likes

I think it means, “Pertaining to PHP Debugging Utilities”.

2 Likes

My wifes folks had just built this awesome house, and while my father-in-law admired his creation, his wife would just ask: who’s gonna clean all these windows…?

That stayed with me and that’s all I can think when I see day-to-day objects that are beautiful, but have a hidden burden…

6 Likes

no burden that money will not hide. People with glass houses don’t wash windows.

3 Likes

Check out the specs.

Dimensions: Dia 3700/3800 × H 1000 mm × OH 1700 mm
Light source: ONE OB20 RGBW 54W + ONE RGBW 8W
Weight: 2600 kg
Primary materia: Hand-blown glass

2600 kg = 2.5 tons.

It looks like fishing line. I untangled one of those newton cradles (perpetual motion ball thingies) my neighbor had given up on, and that took hours. Can’t imagine dealing with this after a gust of wind, feather duster incident or misdirected ping pong ball. I’d love to see it up close, though!

2 Likes

Beautiful. But it looks and moves more like a medusa than a supernova to me.

2 Likes

Hell’s bells! Two tonnes? That some serious craft.

@FGD135 “Medusa Supernova”, the abandoned title to Oasis’ closing track on “(What’s the Story) Morning Glory?”?

1 Like

Before the shows “got too weird” for my parents, they would treat me to a Broadway show (and steak at Peter Luger’s!!) whenever I visited back there. The ‘Phantom of The Opera’ (not being weird for them) stage set included an absolutely huge chandelier that, during a couple of scenes, would swing out from above the stage and hover above the understandably nervous audience, for what purpose… I don’t know… but it was impressive, in a mindless, sort of way.

2 Likes

This phrasing confuses me. How would it transform itself in one but not the other?

1 Like
3 Likes

Time is an illusion anyway…

R.I.P. Dr. Gene Ray

1 Like

Well, the internet is the open form of the closed ward.

1 Like

I met that guy out shopping once. We got talking about fishing and this and that, and then he started going off on a tangent about time and space and it became clear to me who he must be, having see his writing online before. After the encounter I hopped on the Internet and sure enough, there was a photo of him and he lived in the town where that store was located.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.