Watch this "legendary takoyaki food truck master" in action

Originally published at: Watch this "legendary takoyaki food truck master" in action | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Satisfying both in tastiness and efficiency. The way he transforms the food into little balls is near wizardry.

9 Likes

The popping sound when he’s buttering the griddle pleased me greatly for some reason.

8 Likes

In Tokyo, a local insisted that I get takoyaki from a street stand, and I was very grateful. It is so good. If I make it back, I’ll be getting takoyaki and grilled squid from street vendors the first chance I get.
:squid: :yum:

6 Likes

I wonder if the bells on his flipping forks are part of the show for the customers, or for himself as well? (i.e. would it throw his pacing completely off if the bells were removed?)

6 Likes

I’m sure they’re delicious, but still it bothers me how uneven the butter distribution is.

3 Likes
7 Likes

What’s with the weird glove on the left hand?

(Yum!)

2 Likes

More of an Osaka specialty if you get over there some time

4 Likes

spongebob squarepants dance GIF

4 Likes

My wife is a “yaki” junkie. Loves takoyaki, yakisoba and makes awesome okonomiyaki

A while ago she bought a home takoyaki grill. We used it maybe 3 times in 4 years. Mixing the batter and turning them was a royal PITA. Its sitting in the bottom of my pantry.

Now we only buy it from vendors and the two places we know in Manhattan which make it on the spot. The more “molten” the better. According to her the typical Kansai region temperature for eating it is "just short of burning your tongue.

3 Likes

As seen in every tourist photo of the dotonburi part of Osaka

7 Likes

Need the soundtrack with the takoyaki song…

3 Likes

The idea of eating octopus bothers me. I do make ebiyaki though and it’s probably tastier.

3 Likes

Strong “Let’s Meet the Meat”-trope vibes in that storefront decoration for sure.

Also from the page, this quotation:

*Does the sign include an illustration or mascot? Drawings of plates of food or ribs are okay, though not great. Pig mascots are good; smiling anthropomorphic pigs are even better. Is the pig surrounded by flames? If so, it should look happy about the situation. Best of all is an anthropomorphic pig eating ribs. Such a sign says, “Our food is so good that pigs will commit cannibalism to enjoy it.”
Stephen Granade , “Choosing a Barbeque Restaurant”

5 Likes

Seen at a shabushabu place in Shimabara:

The piglet is looking for new staff :grin::

4 Likes

Or when you order your decor from Wish/TEMU:

(seen in Kotohira while visiting the shrine there :grin:)

5 Likes

The tiny bit of tako in the batter is virtually untastable so, yeah, ebi will do. Heck, I wouldn’t mind buttering up b’rer parsnip for the office.

3 Likes

Those looked like pretty good chunks of octopus he was using. I know it’s a mild flavor, but I wouldn’t think it would be untastable. That said, given how much we’re learning these days about octopodes, I also might shy away from eating them.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.