Watch this magical bicycle ballet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/01/watch-this-magical-bicycle-ballet.html

9 Likes

Awww; no tutu.

5 Likes
7 Likes

“Boingboing, a directory of wonderful things.”

In the this case the wonderful thing for me is the realization that you can use a fixed gear bike like a unicycle. I can’t believe I never thought of that (but then I’ve never owned a fixed gear bike.)

10 Likes

This is cool but i was a bit bummed that it wasn’t done in one take. There are other gifted riders that do routines on bikes like in this video but preformed all in one attempt, it likely was easier in the video to set up the shots they needed but i would have liked a single shot routine.

3 Likes

Knoxblox tries this, immediately gets face caught in chandelier…

11 Likes

It is pretty and she is definitely skilled. But…

I wouldn’t call it “ballet,” and I’ve seen similar (and as previously mentioned) one-take at some Cirque du Soleil shows.

Still, kudos to her! I could never do it.

1 Like

I thought the same, and I also though: “Wow.”

Certainly not putting down her skills or performance, it’s greatly executed and she makes it look effortless

hardened entertainment booker voice Eh, I saw Lily Yokoi do it on Sullivan back in 1965 kid, in high heels no less! What else ya got? taps cigar ash into overflowing ashtray

5 Likes

I was gonna post Thunder In Your Heart, but you beat me to the RAD reference!

1 Like

I tried practicing this for a while, but uh… let’s just say I lost my virginity to it.

.gif

1 Like

Those are some incredible skills but this is still a sure-fire way to get skid marks on your underwear.

5 Likes

One note, though: this is not a conventional fixie. If you look carefully, you might note that there is no rake in the front fork, no curve between where it contacts the frame and where the dropouts are for the wheel. I can’t ride one of these, but I’ve worked with folks who can (and do), and the lack of the curve is important for some of those moves.

5 Likes

Even with all those mirrors and reflective surfaces, it hard to spot a reflection of the camera person.

1 Like

Now to combine this with Bicycle Gamelan for the complete artistic cycling experience.

2 Likes

Viola Brand is one such rider - this just happens to be a multi-take video of hers. You can look up plenty of videos of her competition performances for example, where it had to be done in one go because you’re watching archival footage of a live performance.

3 Likes

There’s a little intro stuff you can skip past, but this is some impressive riding:

3 Likes

MacAskill’s one of the few extreme sportspeople that I don’t want to yell “Stop it! You’re just seeking attention and you’ll hurt yourself” at. Possibly because it’s hard to correctly enunciate with your jaw dropped all the way down to the floor.

2 Likes