Watch this maker restore a WWI lighter made from a bullet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/09/watch-this-maker-restore-a-wwi.html

2 Likes

When I was younger I used to keep an IMCO Triplex in my pocket because it was older, cooler and cheaper than a Zippo. These Austrian lighters were developed based on WW I bullet lighters. At some point I realised however that it’s not worth keeping a potentially leaky fluid fuel lighter in your pocket and topped up when you don’t even smoke, just because you like the idea of it.

3 Likes

How does this work? Does the part go into the part on the right?

I used to smoke cigars occasionally , and had a Colibri lighter - and a Zippo for back up. I liked the Zippo for fidget tricks, but it seemed when i wanted to use it to light a fire, my fluid had evaporated. Then I left it at someones house and never saw it again.

2 Likes

Yeah, evaporation was the biggest problem, especially if you don’t actually use it.

The bullet-shaped tank goes into the cylinder and the open rectangular part is for reloading flints (it takes Zippo flints so that’s not a problem). This is it in its closed state. It lights by opening the top, which also engages the spark.

2 Likes

very nice…my brother in law had one of these. worked very well. but “neighbor” ? Are we sure this guy’s Canadian? :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.