Zippo's amazing, weird new colors

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/23/zippos-amazing-weird-new-co.html

1 Like

It the pictures do it justice, that’s my kind of bling.

Unfortunately I can’t carry a Zippo; the lighter fluid gives me a rash on the thigh of the pocket I carry it in.

7 Likes

It’s rainbow titanium. I have a knife like that.

When we were looking for new wedding rings we considered it, but wound up with blue-purple anodized titanium rings with a silver and copper mokume-gane inset (which has a coating to protect it from galvanic corrosion).

8 Likes

The materials science is not anything magical - a number of metals will change colour in this way simply by applying heat.

1 Like

Congratulations! It’s a tough thing to beat.

15 Likes

13 years and counting, here. It’s weird, sometimes I still miss the motions, the ritual, the little details of smoking, or that moment of relaxation. But yeah, better not.

9 Likes

The colors are cool but so is Zippo’s lifetime guarantee. I found a badly beaten Zippo lighter on the beach when I was a kid, mailed it in, and got a replacement. It came in handy on camping trips.

3 Likes

Neat. Are their lighters still not very good?*

• This comment brought to you by Harrumph!. Harrumph!: Things Are So Good That Fiddly Shit Like This Is All You Have To Complain About™.
5 Likes

No use for? Starting a fire is what allowed man to conquer nature. Having a lighter handy in your pack or something is a prudent tool. Though, as much as I love zippos, the fact they dry out with disuse means the plastic ones are what I am more likely to carry.

I left an engraved one at a “friends” house and never got it back. I still have an Armson zippo given to me by paintball manufacturing great, Forest Hatcher.

5 Likes

Buy several for your stoner friends, Cory.

1 Like

It is true that the effect is easier to produce than one might expect; but it’s arguably pretty neat that you can achieve your choice of colors through thin-film interference effects in the oxide layer rather than conventional pigments.

(In the case of titanium, it’s also pretty neat that you can just change the voltage used when anodizing in order to select an oxide thickness and tune the resulting color. A lot of technology-indistinguishable-from-witchcraft effects can be coaxed out of thin films and other exotic-surface-treatment optical effects; but this one is atypically easy to control.)

7 Likes

Why? Hipsters use vaporizers. Artisanal vaporizers. Steampunk too, probably.

7 Likes

I want one. I don’t smoke and never have but I enjoy lighting things on fire (things like incense and candles mostly)

4 Likes

Me too! May I suggest:

Nobody wants to smoke weed with Naphthalene lighter fluid. Its a mistake not often repeated. “clean” burning butane is the smokers friend.

5 Likes

According to Aleister Crowley’s definition, “the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will” the materials science used here is precisely magic.

4 Likes

Ditto.

I’ve got a Zippo; used it for a few weeks, then got sick of having to constantly refill the thing. They dry out ridiculously quickly.

Plastic lighters aren’t infallible, but for the weight of one Zippo (or one flint & steel) I can carry a dozen disposable butane lighters.

2 Likes

They’re great in a wind; that’s really their use-case.

Try lighting anything with a butane liter if the wind is over, say 10 MPH!

1 Like

That’s really cool, and it gets around the concealed carry issues…

I think you mean:

Buy several for your stoner “friends,” Cory.