Watch this pianist play through a delightful history of cartoon music

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/06/watch-this-pianist-play-throug.html

2 Likes

No Scooby Doo. Lame.

7 Likes

On the plus side, that means no Scrappy Doo.

12 Likes

He skipped twenty years of some of the best tunes. No Scooby Doo, no Hong Kong Fooey, no Johnny Quest, no Stop That Pigeon. Bah humbug.

13 Likes

I just had a full on Nintendo 8 bit flashback. Is it just me?

No Spider-Man? No Family Guy? No South Park? No Adventure Time? No Animaniacs? No TMNT? No Rick & Morty?

5 Likes

My go-to CD when I want to hear some cartoon music is “The Carl Stalling Project.” Stalling was the composer and arranger for Warner Brothers cartoons for over two decades. Gotta love a CD whose first track is titled “Putty Tat Trouble.”

And if you like that, check out “The Music Of Raymond Scott: Reckless Nights And Turkish Twilights” – Stalling used a number of Scott’s compositions in his work with Warner Bros.

9 Likes

He goes very anime-centric after the 80’s. I think this video says much more about the pianist than it does cartoon music.

That he skipped most of the 60’s and all of the 70’s is a serious foul against toon fandom. Perhaps it’s a commentary on the fact that it’s not necessary to find the missing link between ape and human in order to demonstrate the validity of evolutionary theory?

Also, am I the only one who finds the manner in which he stares into the camera/your soul without expression rather unsettling? No human should be able to play the Muppet Babies theme without smiling, imho.

And wtf is the “Get Along Gang”?

7 Likes

It was very popular in Brazil… I think he selected only his favorite toons.

4 Likes

Apparently I stopped paying attention to cartoons after 1980.

4 Likes

No Oshikuru Demon Samurai?!

I have that CD. How did you miss Speed Racer!

3 Likes

Kinda creepy all that staring into the camera.

3 Likes

He probably played the cartoons that were popular in Brazil (Get Along Gang for example), where he is from. I can’t know for sure because I stopped watching his chanel after I found he is a strong supporter of Brazilian president Bolsonaro.

3 Likes

No! You missed the beats!

Not to mention… Space Ghost.

I have that CSP CD. It was interesting how the liner notes shabbily glossed over and sort of dismissed the number of quotes taken from Raymond Scott (who – BTW – went to my high school; yet again…Go Tech!).

On Raymond Scott, one should also check out The Beau Hunks perfect recreation (period recording tech and instruments) of his music, CD title ‘Celebration on the Planet Mars’.

2 Likes

I wonder if Dragon Ball aired using Dragonball-Z’s Head-Chala in Brazil. Otherwise I don’t understand why he didn’t play the actual Dragonball theme Makafushigi Adventure.

1 Like

There’s soooo much good stuff on there, I couldn’t remember EVERYTHING. I hit my favorites, but of course Speedracer, Underdog by the Butthole Surfers is another highlight, and Dig absolutely crushes the Fat Albert Theme.

1 Like

Yay Tom and Jerry.