Watch this Swedish jazz musician rip a sick jazz bagpipe solo

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/02/watch-this-swedish-jazz-musician-rip-a-sick-jazz-bagpipe-solo.html

4 Likes

Bagpipe Jazz is my new favorite thing.
Sidenote: why’s there so much hate on bagpipes? I’ve always loved the sound.

7 Likes

What a great performance! :astonished: I wonder where this was filmed…hopefully, near Balmoral. :face_with_monocle: :european_castle:

4 Likes

If you like Gunhild, check out Rufus Harley. Here he is in DC back in 1987.

Rufus Harley Live in DC 1987

6 Likes

The pipes sound very different without the drone notes.

Also for the first two minutes before she started playing I was trying to decide whether she was drunk or not.

9 Likes

Jazzpipes!

3 Likes

Even though I have some Scottish ancestors (McKinley) I do not really like bag pipe music. This was much, much more tolerable.

Yeah, she’s a very talented musician, but I would tell her to knock off the attempts at dancing.

1 Like

Meh, let your funky freak flag fly.

5 Likes

Here she is with Postmodern Jukebox:

(Credit to @rocketpj for sharing this on the PMJ thread a couple weeks ago.)

4 Likes

Bag pipes are the first Industrial.
I like them in that framework.

Every time I see this, I name check Rufus Harley too.

2 Likes

A Swedish Kirk!

2 Likes

Jazz on weird instruments? Check out the Alphorn

Not really a fan of bagpipes, but goddam, that’s good!

rip a sick jazz bagpipe solo

Neither weirder, not truer, words have ever been posted to BB.

2 Likes

Ah, the old “harmonica in the brassiere” trick. Should have expected that. (Was not.)

That is some kick-ass jazz dudelsack! Wow. Not sure the precise type of bagpipe that is - there are tons of them from around the world - but this one really works for the genre, in a way that Highland pipes would certainly not, lol.

1 Like

yeah reminded me of another jazzer who showed up drunk alot …this was bloody brilliant…its been so ling since I witnessed someone in touch with their jazz vibe becoming forgotten like scatting.Im Scottish and love the bagpipes so I put off listening to the performance until now…I was afraid she would culturally offend me and the pipes…she is in a League of her own and literally blew it away. .she has made the pipes…sultry and sexy …

2 Likes

The headline of this post is an (only slightly) less obnoxious version of the recent trend of clickbait headlines like “Someone Did XYX and It’s Totally insane”, conveniently ignoring the person’s identity. A more accurate, informative, and respectful headline would have been “Watch Swedish jazz musician Gunhild Carling rip a sick bagpipe solo.”

3 Likes