Watch this time lapse video of a Victorian house cruising through San Francisco

Originally published at: Watch this time lapse video of a Victorian house cruising through San Francisco | Boing Boing

1 Like

SFGATE published a piece on this yesterday. Some cool history on the house/project as well as some history on houses being moved around the city in the past.

3 Likes

I love the engineering behind this, but it is sad that the house is being destroyed by carving it into 7 units on the inside. I suspect that the developers are strongly incentivized to save the facade, which is certainly better than demolishing it, but the whole enterprise seems unlikely to have ever happened without a lot of civic deal sweetening for the developers. Balancing history and livability is always a challenge, but this is certainly not 100% feel good as reported.

2 Likes

Watch this time lapse video of a Victorian house cruising through San Francisco

Things I expected/visualized after reading the headline, in temporal order as the page loaded:

1. A person wearing a costume that looked like a Victorian house, possibly with faux chicken legs or legs any color that matches the paint on the costume house.
  2. An actual Victorian house slowly sliding down a hill due to some calamity.
  3. A person named “a Victorian house”, possibly dressed in steam punk affair, walking elegantly in San Francisco.
  4. A performance art group, or music group named “a Victorian house” preforming while being filmed in time lapse.
  5. Lastly, A Victorian house being moved from one spot to another, As he’s done with older houses.

Context is everything, and BoingBoing provides wonderfully creative context, so I’m never quite sure what I’m going to see when I click a link, unless it’s an advertisement for something in the the BBstore- then I know I’m likely going to be disappointed, and that last statement saddens me.

2 Likes

house is being destroyed by carving it into 7 units on the inside

In fairness, I imagine the vast majority of Victorians in the city have been carved up into multiple units by now (including the one I’m writing this from). SF needs lot of small units way more than large single family houses.

1 Like

Yea, and as noted in the article I posted above, the land is worth more than the house. I just looked on google maps and combined with the empty lot adjacent, that’s a big footprint in the city.
The article did not note if the home had any special historic designation that would have prevented it from being torn down.
My guess is, however that somewhere from zero to very few units created by this project will be anything approaching “affordable”. But, units are units, I guess in a city lacking in such.

Being that this happened in San Francisco there are high odds someone was tripping when this thing rolled by and their trip got really interesting.

1 Like

See also: the Neverwas Haul.

San Franciscans arose at sunrise and gathered along Franklin Street to watch an unusual grand procession.

I feel like watching a larger house like this be moved is one of those things I’ve always been curious about but perhaps never seen, even in video? Very cool!

I had a great meal at a restaurant in Portland located in the Ladd Carriage House (note, it is a large carriage house) that had been moved at one point. I think across a street, but still. The above video gave me a better idea of what that would have looked like.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.