Watch this truck attempt to cross a crazy narrow and precarious bridge

I drove over an open wooden plank bridge in Vermont. It was replaced a few years later, but I have to say it was rather loose and scary. The covered bridges also have wooden planks, but they are covered and dry, and way less scary.

Yeah the bridge scene in Sorceror was the first thing that came to mind. Both movies are awesome and worth seeingā€¦

2 Likes

Also, Jeremy Clarkson was not present. Which raises the success rate significantly.

6 Likes

A ton is 2240 lbs

1 Like

Oh, youā€™re out to start a holy war, arenā€™t you, my sour yellow friend :wink:

2 Likes

Death to the enlightenment. All hail the enheatenment!

5 Likes

I just looked it up, apparently itā€™s 2,240 in the UK. And nobody should have to deal with three different kinds of acre. Whatever an acre is.

Imperial is an imperial shot ton of crapola.

Tower pounds, troy pounds, merchant pounds, avoirdupois pounds, or London pounds?

6 Likes

Thatā€™d be both European and African Avoirdupois. No Hirundininistā€™s gonna catch me out.

3 Likes

That be so true!

Give us shit for our distance measurements, or even our food measurements, but Iā€™ve always known what two tons of pulling power means (or whatever the number the Dodge truck voiceover uses on the commercials).:wink:

But if a community is actively using a bridge that looks like this one does then I would expect that the time and material resources to repair it would represent a significant strain on the community.

Especially since the accident would have been caused by what Iā€™m guessing is some ass-hat on vacation wreaking havoc on what appears to be a very economically disadvantaged community. Anyone care to give odds on whether the owner of the vehicle would have paid for the bridge repair if theyā€™d destroyed it?

[shrug] Or I could be completely wrong.

Truck crossing at about the 2:00 mark.

Tangerine Dream - ā€œSorcerer Themeā€

2 Likes

All you young kids who havenā€™t seen Sorcerer before: you should know that both trucks are loaded with cases of weeping dynamite that are highly unstable and liable to explode if jarred more than slightly. Itā€™s a very, very tense movie.

3 Likes

I was reminded of the ā€œCalvin & Hobbesā€ strip referenced in that article too.

3 Likes

And sadly eclipsed at the theaters from that George Lucas space opera that got release a week later.

2 Likes

Who knew Roy Scheider wasnā€™t quite the box-office draw he was a mere two summers previously?

1 Like

I saw it when originally released in theaters. And yeah, I came out with dig marks in my palms from my own fingernails. Brilliant film, stunning ending. Fortunately, now available for the younger generation:

Amazon Bluray

2 Likes

Oh yes, I figured youā€™d seen it if you knew @TobinLā€™s reference. That would have been amazing to see it in a theater. Iā€™m envious! Iā€™d only heard Stephen Kingā€™s rave mention of it in passing (in Danse Macabre I think) and didnā€™t actually see the movie until I got the Blu-Ray for myself this summer. The pacing is of its era, certainly, but the tension builds beautifully for those patient enough to get to the actual jungle scenes.

2 Likes

All true, but at the risk of sounding like That Guy, the original was even better.

1 Like

Was it? Excellentā€¦ Iā€™ll have to check it out!