Formerly 11foot8 bridge devours RV's air conditioning units

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/13/formerly-11foot8-bridge-devours-rvs-air-conditioning-units.html

5 Likes

Uh oh…

13 Likes

giphy (5)

17 Likes

@wazroth: you’re up, kid.

13 Likes

The bridge hungers for Freon!!

14 Likes

It really is the Perfect Storm of traffic management nightmares. The only winning move is not to play.

15 Likes

Most of them run the red light, too. Like, stupid AND impatient, great combo.

I like the white car changing his mind about the right turn he’s clearly about to make. Nope, no thanks, I’ll go a different way.

33 Likes

26 Likes

I’m honestly glad that it was so decisive.

For reasons that I don’t understand but are probably indicative of some sort of more or less harmless(except to oneself) neurosis; seeing deformation or damage to the perfect arrays of thin aluminum or copper sheets in heat sinks and AC unit heat exchangers makes me deeply and profoundly uncomfortable.

I realize that these things are usually engineered with some margin for degradation in the field, so a few bent plates isn’t going to run the system; but it’s just wrong for them to be out of place.

Here, at least, the whole assembly was sheered off and decisively destroyed rather than being deformed.

12 Likes

I drove through there this week for the first time since it was raised. Six inches! All that effort and cost for six inches! (That is NOT what she said, okay?)

I prevented a friend from driving a moving truck through that intersection a couple years ago. I was literally screaming at him to turn left, and when he did, just barely in time, was all, like, “What’s the big deal?”. He had lived a few blocks away for years, with absolutely zero awareness of the situation.

29 Likes

Pretty sure they said it was a good 8 inches :wink:

10 Likes

I hope you pointed him to the 11foot8 videos so he could get a sense of what he missed out on.

14 Likes

wow hope that wasn’t a rental

7 Likes

Good. I hate having to listen to people run their generators and AC units while camping in the wilderness.

16 Likes

Maybe you would find comfort in videos of fin straightening? https://youtu.be/mwzwboqN5Cw?t=33

7 Likes

It seems to make it under the yellow warning beam just fine but still hits the bridge. Which means something’s not set up correctly.

6 Likes

Yep. In addition to the bingo game, I’m sure someone will be along any moment to make excuses for the genius now asking “wait, the A/C units on the top of my RV count toward the total height of the vehicle?”

14 Likes

I would argue that if you can drive an RV there, it isn’t really wilderness. Indeed in designated wilderness areas of US national forests, motor vehicles (and motorized tools) are prohibited.

Federal Regulations (36 CFR 261.18) for National Forest Wilderness

The following are prohibited in a National Forest Wilderness:
(a) Possessing or using a motor vehicle, motorboat or motorized equipment except as authorized by Federal Law or regulation.
(b) Possessing or using a hang glider or bicycle.
(c) Landing of aircraft, or dropping or picking up of any material, supplies, or person by means of aircraft, including a helicopter.

12 Likes

The beam is what they hit. It’s clearer in the 2nd shot, but you can pause it on a frame where the AC is being pushed up and back by the yellow beam.

8 Likes

You can hear the truck, which clearly has all form of aftermarket bells and whistles (and rumbles, and roars), accelerate when he sees the yellow. Which meant he was running full bore into that beam. Glorious.

17 Likes