Formerly 11foot8 bridge devours RV's air conditioning units

Would it be “Fake News” if they had just kept the signs at 11’8"?

1 Like

One can argue about the terms, but I agree the idea of noise pollution at camping grounds sounds very very irritating. Most of the “nature experiences” in US are ruined by crowds. People ruin everything.

7 Likes

It doesn’t quite bring the heat exchanger back to a prelapsarian state; but I can practically feel the world becoming a slightly better place as he delicately grooms the fin array.

Thanks.

4 Likes

This is the one I drove by! I swear we talked about this previously. I love how the big ol’ hemi is like, “LET ME SING YOU THE SONG OF MY PEOPLE” just before it crashes.

Aaaanyway:

21 Likes

A flashing light saying “overheight, must turn” is not enough, you need something hanging low before the bridge to wake drivers up. I miss signs all the time, “oh, that was the exit? Dammit.”

[ETA : I don’t know the exact landscape involved here, for all I know they can’t do this for some reason.]

5 Likes

21 Likes

maybe it needs a klakston

13 Likes

I wonder how far that fog horn could launch a rubber ball?

5 Likes

Though if you’re somewhere crowded, aren’t you part of the problem?

2 Likes

unless you jam the ball in… I’d say not very far…

1 Like

I saw a tow-behind camper at my local Home Depot lot, it had obviously met something low. The pop-out was skewed/dislodged and I don’t think will ever work again, insulation and whatever got ripped off the roof then tossed into the gaping hole in the front…

I thought how frustrating, do they think this could be fixed somehow? And insurance… pretty obvious it was inattention, so are you covered? Are you out of pocket the easy +$50,000 that thing cost?

There are two bridges I’m aware of in this city that can do that, and each are very well marked. So, explain that to your adjuster.

3 Likes

A woman at a state park last weekend was on trails carrying her phone playing country music. Loudly. I wondered how the acoustics would be if I dropped it in the lake.

5 Likes

Most people in a crowd going into nature are generally respectful, and appreciate the quiet, the privacy and the majesty of the surroundings. But in a large enough crowd, there’s a handful of individuals who take peace and serenity as a challenge, and try to bring noise and obnoxiousness into that space. Sometimes just one.

2 Likes

I went camping at a place like that once.

Once.

Best I can say is, if you stand there and look around, you can’t really point to the place that that bar would go. There’s another intersection just a few car lengths away, so even at reasonable speeds there is very little time to get someone to understand their newfound situation.

2 Likes

I was picturing something like a squeeze-bore round. :wink:

Thank you for this! :woozy_face:

They could install one of these and there’d still be the occasional idiot who would ignore it.

4 Likes

well… if you had a camera with face-recognition and an AI… you set the horn to take fright as they were merrily coming down the road… but you know …they would miss that!

I suspect the costs of these crashes add up, though that bar probably prevents major damage to the overpass. But you’d think the insurance industry or somebody would install some kind of hologram effect that would pop up directly in the face of drivers when they approach with a vehicle that is too high.
Have they thought of that and decided it might make things worse?

1 Like

Ha, you would think that owning a really expensive (for most people) RV would make you cautious about this kind of hazard…but NO!!!

I love this bridge. It’s instant-karma!

2 Likes