Watch this woman repeat her stupid human gum trick from 28 years ago on Letterman

Originally published at: Watch this woman repeat her stupid human gum trick from 28 years ago on Letterman | Boing Boing

9 Likes

furthermore [nerd wheeze] one must suspect that the hair is anchored oh_i_dunno near the top of her head? in order that the wad’s initial trajectory is in a circular arc upwards. (“Shave 'er bald! Then do it again!” --Amazing Randy’s ghost (gosh i miss him))

6 Likes

Purely from a scientific point of view…

5 Likes

She has cultivated one extremely long eyebrow hair to get around the “shave 'er bald” challenge

5 Likes

The wad initially goes straight out of her mouth, as one would expect when it’s spat. Then about a inch and a half from her mouth, it follows that arc, centered on her hairline. As though it was attached to a strand of hair, so it went straight until it took up all the slack.

3 Likes

That’s the most Gen-X thing I’ve seen in ages!

9 Likes

Oh wow, that presenter… That’s concentrated cringe…

Was like watching a car crash. It was horrible in every way but i couldn’t stop, now i regret everything…

2 Likes

Here’s to hoping she’s mastered some new physical property of spinning spheres to produce lift-drag-inertia conditions that eventually result in a multi-billion dollar transportation company that I own.

1 Like

Or, just have her wear a ballcap, and watch how the trajectory is different due to the differing strand length and anchor point. Still, it’s a good trick.

Some kids get gum in their hair; she got a hair in her gum, and made a trick out of it. Her showing the trick in profile and in slow motion was kind of her!

2 Likes

yeah, that’s kind of his schtick. once you realize he does it on purpose, using it as a cover for subversion, it grows on you. not really on display in this clip, though, you’re right.

4 Likes

Oh man. I just realized we’re entering a time in the world when David Letterman isn’t instantly recognizable.

Not to single you out, but am I right that you just saw him as an anonymous stage presence?

What a wild experience!

6 Likes

Well, to be fair, he’s helped make sure people don’t recognize him.

I lived in a Letterman watching household and really enjoyed his brand of self deprecating humor. I miss him as host of The Late Show. I think Conan is probably one of the only late night hosts I hold in similar light.

5 Likes

Just continuing a joke here.

Oh man. I just realized we’re entering a time in the world when BEARDED David Letterman is Defacto Recognized David Letterman!

(Read what you wrote below the photo, too)

3 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.